Retail Cider Reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
536939_10200588129135406_978669077_n.jpg

So I went shopping today and picked up six retail ciders that I haven't tried before, but have wanted to. I will be posting my reviews as they are drunk, or I am drunk. :D :tank: :mug:

Samuel Smith's Organic Cider is my mass produced standard bearer.

I love Bellweather Original and Liberty Spy also, you should be able to get that in the ROC... or just talk to Lebreton

Samuel Smith's Organic Cider is my mass produced standard bearer.

I love Bellweather Original and Liberty Spy also, you should be able to get that in the ROC... or just talk to Lebreton
I have tried some of Bellweathers ciders. The Black Magic is pretty good too. :mug:

First up, Strongbow.

Clear glass, pryoff crown cap, not a twistoff, so now I have another source for clear bottles to reuse other than my Corona bottles with the paint removed.

Light carbonation. Although advertised as a dry, it tastes like a semi-dry, with a tart apple finish. Their website recommends "drinking it over ice for a crisp, refreshing taste that always hits the spot", although I think that would water it down a bit. Put the bottle in the freezer for about 15 minutes, then pour into a chilled glass.

I think this is one that could grow on me in time.

It is a bit expensive though, because it is an import. Close to $11 for a 6 pack here.

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give Strongbow: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

strongbow.jpg

I'm totally spoiled on my cider selection in the northeast. Bantam wunderkind...mmmmmm

So I went shopping today and picked up six retail ciders that I haven't tried before, but have wanted to. I will be posting my reviews as they are drunk, or I am drunk. :D :tank: :mug:

Love it Mike! I Look forward to the reviews. I just don't visit my local liquor store all that much any more since starting this hobby.

Tonights selection is Magners Original Irish Cider

Brown bottle, pryoff crown cap, so it will be suitable for reuse in home brews. As long as you dont mind the embossed signature of William Magners on the bottle.

Smell is that of a typical eurocider.

Lightly carbonated, somewhere in the dry to semi-dry range. The finish is that of "tart Budweiser". I know it isn't a beer, but even the belch I just had tasted like a "Bud Burp".

Being an import once again, it is a bit on the expensive side as far as retail ciders go.

I am glad I tried this one, but I can't see myself going out of my way to get more.

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give Magners Original Irish Cider: :ban: :ban: :ban:

41bAoltczqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A bit slow tonight, so I cracked open another. Woodchuck Raspberry.

Nice short brown bottle (Is woodchuck no longer using green bottles?), pryoff crown cap, and will be reused in my future ciders.

Can definately smell the raspberry.

Light carbonation. It is a sweet cider. First impression is that it is watery, with a raspberry taste, and then a bitter finish, as if it fermented too long and took on the flavor of the seeds.

It is a domestic, brewed in Vermont, and priced about average with other ciders, $8 for a 6 pack.

It isn't bad, but I'm glad I didn't buy the 6 pack just to try this.

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give Woodchuck Raspberry: :ban: :ban: :ban:

1_97281126_3.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if the Magnars is fermented with a Lager yeast which might give it that 'Bud' taste. I've had it before, years ago, so the refresher was nice. :)

Never had Woodchuck Raspberry. Love the Regular and Amber. How many varieties are there now?

Varieties
All Woodchuck ciders are naturally gluten-free because the product is made from apples only, without any grains. The company sells several types of cider under the Woodchuck name, including core flavors, limited releases which are sold at particular times of year, private reserves which are produced in limited batches, and "farmhouse select" which is produced in small batches and sold in 750ml bottles.

Core styles
Amber – traditional New England cider
802 (Dark & Dry) – has caramelized sugar added, but still drier than Amber. The named comes from the 802 area code, which covers Vermont, where Woodchuck Hard Cider is based. (Also where I got the idea to name my batches of local pressed cider "585")
Granny Smith – made from only Granny Smith apples
Pear – apple cider with natural pear flavoring added
Raspberry – apple cider with a raspberry flavoring added
Crisp – a dry cider

Limited releases
Woodchuck has seasonal cider varieties which are released according to time of year:
Spring – flavored with maple syrup and brown sugar
Summer – more tart than Amber cider, with blueberry juice added
Fall – flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, and white oak
Winter – a combination of "Premium French" and "Traditional American Oak"

Private reserves
In the fall of 2010, the company produced a limited run of pumpkin hard cider, which they claim as the world's first pumpkin cider.
Barrel Select private reserve is hard cider that combines the taste of cider with the taste of Kentucky bourbon.
Woodchuck Belgian White was introduced in 2012 as a cider that uses Belgian beer yeast.

Drinking now, Angry Orchard Ginger.

Tall brown bottle, with a twistoff (Boooo!) cap.

Smell of apple and ginger is noticeable.

Very light carbonation. Nice golden color. Starts off with a strong tart apple flavor, finish is gingery.

Reasonably priced, $8 for a 6 pack, which is inline with most retail ciders sold in this area.

I do believe i will be getting more of this one. I have been very happy with the Angry Orchard Crisp, and I am pleased at their consistent quality.

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give Angry Orchard Ginger: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

Wine_-Angry_Orchard_Ginger.jpg

We interrupt the scheduled tasting lineup for Redd's Apple Ale.

It comes in a tall clear glass twistoff bottle, so no bottle reuse here.

Good smell of apples after removing the cap. Good carbonation, good golden color. Nice apple flavor, with an ale aftertaste.

Slightly above average price at $8.50 a 6 pack.

Best way for me to describe this is the bastard child of cider and beer. I may get more, but not right away

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give Redd's Apple Ale: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

lAppleAleBottle.jpg

I saw that thread too. It wouldn't suprise me, but I can hope, after the good review you gave it, that it's not true.

A + B = C (oors)

But having said that, I feel that Shocktop has a place too, even though they are Anheiser Busch.

I wonder if any small brewers have tried to put a Graff out there. They always put extra effort. Into making their stuff taste better.

I saw one a year or so ago. Unfortunately, I can't even remember the name of the brewery. I think it was a limited edition from the Northwest? It was definitely a commercial product and not just from someone's basement. (Not that that's a bad thing either though)

Tonight's review is of McKenzies Hand Pressed Seasonal Reserve.

It is in a tall brown bottle, and unfortunately it's a twistoff.

Nice gold coloring, and a very strong spicy smell.

First taste, again a good strong spice flavor, tart, then followed by an almost citrus finish. It is like a mulled cider on a winters eve.

It is about $8 for a 6 pack, about average.

From their website:
Flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg. Sip, smell and savor the rich, mulled spicy goodness of McKenzie's Seasonal Reserve. Aromatic fall flavors warm you from the inside out, and chase away the chill on those cold nights. Serve warm or cold, but only for a limited time!

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give McKenzies Seasonal Reserve: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

lSeasonalReserveSixPack.jpg

As far as commercial graffs go, there are a few breweries in Colorado that make "Cider" and have to use malt in it due to the fact that they have to because they can't make wine (which is what cider is considered legally here) and have to use a certain amount of malt. Wynkoop makes one every year, there's a micro in Colorado Springs that makes one, Coopersmith's in Fort Collins used to do one when my boss used to be the brewer there and Wit's End made one late last year using some juice from Colorado Cider Company. These are all very small breweries on a national scale though.

Tonight's review is of McKenzies Hand Pressed Seasonal Reserve.

It is in a tall brown bottle, and unfortunately it's a twistoff.

Nice gold coloring, and a very strong spicy smell.

First taste, again a good strong spice flavor, tart, then followed by an almost citrus finish. It is like a mulled cider on a winters eve.

It is about $8 for a 6 pack, about average.

From their website:
Flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg. Sip, smell and savor the rich, mulled spicy goodness of McKenzie's Seasonal Reserve. Aromatic fall flavors warm you from the inside out, and chase away the chill on those cold nights. Serve warm or cold, but only for a limited time!

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give McKenzies Seasonal Reserve: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

Not familiar with the cider, but the spices are similar to what I put in my last batch. I used Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Orange peel. I'm getting much the same reaction from my friends too. This seems like a spice combo that has lots of appeal. I hope to try one!

Not familiar with the cider, but the spices are similar to what I put in my last batch. I used Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Orange peel. I'm getting much the same reaction from my friends too. This seems like a spice combo that has lots of appeal. I hope to try one!
Please post the recipe in the forum, or give me the link if you already have it posted. :D

The last cider of the original 6 is Woodchuck Spring.

Short brown bottle with a pryoff crown cap. It will be added to my other woodchuck bottles for future reuse.

Very light honey coloring. Light carbonation, strong smell of maple syrup.

The smell is very deceptive of the taste. First taste is very tart, with a bitter finish. As usual, this Woodchuck has a thin watery feel.

Average priced, around $8 for a 6 pack.

From their website:
Warm days and cold nights will make the sap flow in the woods, but keeping the cider flowing in your fridge is up to you. Start with our spring cider - the taste and aroma of fresh maple syrup and brown sugar will make you think you're sitting in a warm sugarhouse in the Vermont countryside.

I don't think I will be getting this again anytime soon.

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give Woodchuck Spring: :ban: :ban: :ban:

1_109391126_3.jpg

Woodchuck's Spring was way better the first year when they used honey instead maple syrup and brown sugar. I was super upset last spring when they made the change and I didn't notice when I bought a six pack. Honey is probably just too expensive for it to make sense for them to use it in a mass produced cider, too bad.

Woodchuck's Spring was way better the first year when they used honey instead maple syrup and brown sugar. I was super upset last spring when they made the change and I didn't notice when I bought a six pack. Honey is probably just too expensive for it to make sense for them to use it in a mass produced cider, too bad.

It's from Vermont, they have more maple trees than they do honey bees. :D

We interrupt the scheduled tasting lineup for Redd's Apple Ale.

It comes in a tall clear glass twistoff bottle, so no bottle reuse here.

Good smell of apples after removing the cap. Good carbonation, good golden color. Nice apple flavor, with an ale aftertaste.

Slightly above average price at $8.50 a 6 pack.

Best way for me to describe this is the bastard child of cider and beer. I may get more, but not right away

Out of a maximum of 5 Dancing Bananas, I will give Redd's Apple Ale: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

I actually enjoyed this one. Drank a six pack of it last night. Strong apple flavor bu you still knew you were drinking an ale.

UpstateMike said:
A bit slow tonight, so I cracked open another. Woodchuck Raspberry.

Nice short brown bottle (Is woodchuck no longer using green bottles?), pryoff crown cap, and will be reused in my future ciders.

No bud, no more green. Executive decision based on ???

I've never tried it, but I think the consensus is that it's an apple flavored Miller product.

Does that sounds about right, Mike?

Back