Low pressure efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wn2w

Reaction score
I am building a 7 burner low pressure cooker, fuel savings is my only goal..
4 small burners for cooking smaller pots (5 gallon).
http://tejassmokers.com/images/LPCAST.jpg
And 3 larger burners for cooking larger pots (20 gallon).
http://tejassmokers.com/images/LPCAST10.jpg
My main question is how far from the burner does the pot need to be? The recommended 4in seems like a long way?
Is this the best way to go burner selection ect?
All input is welcome!

Id go with the recommended distance to the kettle. Too little and you get an inefficient burn with flames washing past the kettle and up the sides.

Id go with the recommended distance to the kettle. Too little and you get an inefficient burn with flames washing past the kettle and up the sides.

Thanks!
Do you think the tips of the flame should touch the pot or just below the pot?
Should I try the burner and pot combo an see what the distance should be before I weld on tabs?
Should I try different orifice sizes?
What should I be looking for?
I know that is a lot of questions but these burners will be wide open at least 30 hours per week, a little savings will go a long way.
THANKS AGAIN!

First,
Those burners can be purchased for far less elsewhere.
Second,
4" is correct. Inefficiency is usually experienced when the burner does not have an air gap under the kettle. You need a 1" gap.

First,
Those burners can be purchased for far less elsewhere.
Second,
4" is correct. Inefficiency is usually experienced when the burner does not have an air gap under the kettle. You need a 1" gap.

Thank you sir, I ordered them today from a friend for $260.00 (all 7).
Is that a 1 inch gab between the tip of the flame and the kettle?

I think that's the gap to allow air to flow up past the bottom. My friend built a stand that the kettle completely covered the hole for the burner so all the exhaust had to go DOWN around the stand. Ran like crap.

This should better describe what I mean.

527099_206643922773285_118448088259536_323263_1916037038_n.jpg

544953_206643869439957_118448088259536_323262_274666755_n.jpg

I think that's the gap to allow air to flow up past the bottom. My friend built a stand that the kettle completely covered the hole for the burner so all the exhaust had to go DOWN around the stand. Ran like crap.

I did that same thing years ago on a stew cooker, it didn't run at all, set the pot on it, poof. Great advice thanks!

I was looking though some of your pictures as you were posting, beautiful work!

Do yourself a kind gesture and make things a little simpler... buy from us :D

Absolutely! I'v already picked out a lot of things on your web site in the last 5 mins!!! I need those mounting boxes for sure and some way to control the flame.size! Yea, your gonna save me a lot of time!

Latest posts

Back