Building a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a few months into brewing beer, and of course I'm very excited to expand into kegging. My wife and I bought our first house last year, and it came with a fridge/freezer downstairs which we rarely use. So, I was thinking, why not convert this into a kegerator since we already have it and we don't use it much. I'd say it's standard size (not sure the dimensions, I will measure these later), with the fridge on the bottom and the freezer on the top. I am not very handy when it comes to stuff like this, as I have little experience with tools and construction, so I am just wondering how difficult it would be to convert this into a kegerator. I've been searching online today to get some instructions and step-by-step directions, but I just wanted to see if anyone who has little experience with home projects like this had any trouble in the process. I already have a friend who is willing to help me, and he says he is pretty competent when it comes to things like this. Anyways, any help is appreciated. Again, I don't have the keg setup yet. I'm more concerned with converting this fridge into a kegerator first, and then I'll get some corny kegs, CO2 tank, lines, etc. Thank you!

All you really need are the shanks and a Co2 manifold. Mount the manifold inside so you can run multiple gas lines and drill holes the right size to pass the shanks through and you're on your way. Then you just need the rest of the hardware.. If you put the Co2 tank inside it will read weird so I have mine outside I just ran a line from the regulator to the manifold.

its easy easy, if you want it to be. Drill a hole with a hole saw mount the tap and that is all you need to do... if you dont care about the tank reading a tad off, i dont... multiple beer lines takes a little more work

heres my side by side fermentation chamber build... a little intense but maybe you want to take out the piece separating your fridge and freezer too???

Since my fridge area is a good size and in terms of height, it's got more than enough room (I think), I will probably just leave the freezer area as is. I want this to be as easy as possible lol. Looking forward to seeing your kegerator when it's complete.

It's pretty easy. There are never refrigerant lines in the door, so you can just drill straight through to mount the shanks, and the drip tray can just be installed with screws through the sheet metal. If you put the CO2 cylinder inside, you're pretty much done, and if you mount it outside, you just need to drill one more hole to pass the gas line through.

I put a tower on a mini-fridge for mine, which makes it a little bit more complicated, but with a full size? Drill two holes, put plastic or rubber around the inside to seal against moisture, use wrenches to install the shanks. Done.

I'm not going to be doing anything until I get my setup. I just wanted to get an understanding before I decide to purchase everything.

Back