Bottling without bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoDollarBill

Reaction score
I don't have a bottling bucket. My original plan was to rack back into primary (with the priming sugar), then bottle from there. However, now I've got another brew in the primary, ha!
Should I siphon the priming sugar into the secondary (5 gal carboy), then siphon straight from the carboy into bottles? Or should I round up another vessel (I have a 5 gal bucket that I could use in a pinch, I suppose) to rack the beer into on top of the priming sugar?

Also, if I bottle straight from the carboy, will this prevent me from dry hopping with pellet hops, since that'll leave crap in the bottom?

Thanks for ideas!

Why don't you just go to the hardware store and make a bottling bucket? You can find everything you need, including a spigot there.

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

With my buttling bucket and my dip tube, I leave no more than about 3 ounces behind, which means I can get about 52 to 54 bottles per 5 gallon batch.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

bottling_wand.jpg

One of my dip tubes and what gets left behind.

dip2.jpg

You'll find a ton of good info here to make bottling easier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Thanks for the quick response... I've read the other thread :)
I live out in the middle of nowhere, and hardware stores are an hour away... and if SWMBO sees me buy another bucket, she might blow her lid. I was hoping to get by with what I've got... but I guess I'll see what I can scavenge to get a separate container for bottling.

When I first started I used to secondary in my bottling bucket. I would pour my bottling sugar water into a ladle so it would not disturb the sediment. Then I would stir super super slowly to mix it. I did not have a dip tube on mine like Revvy's, and my spigot was a little higher up, so I would tilt the bucket with a book in the back.

People on here gave me a lot of crap saying you can't add sugar and stir it over the sediment without disturbing it and getting it mixed in your beer. Well, yeah you can if you do it right.

If you have only 2 fermentation vessels and both are filled that is some terribly poor planning on your part. LMAO

Tell your SWMBO what an idiot you are. Then tell her the only way to fix this problem is to buy another bucket.

You could always transfer from carboy to kettle. Then from primary to carboy. Then from kettle to primary. Then you can bottle from primary with spigot. As long as you are careful you shouldn't get an infection. The little oxygen you may introduce to the beer is not a big deal since the yeast need some for bottle conditioning anyway. Just make sure everything is clean and sanitized.

Back