Is anyone in the area of New Bern or Jacksonville NC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm moving there!

While I regret abandoning the beer culture of Mississippi in almost as piss poor of a state as I found it, I have done all that I can and it is time to move on. I have eared my wings and the Corps in all her wisdom has decided to put me in the cockpit of the AV-8B Harrier II at MCAS Cherry Point, NC. I have so many great things to look forward to, not the least of which is hovering a jet, but also finally being in a region with some culture, good food, and GOOD BEER. I will never be nostalgic for the days of the 6% ABV cap on beer, because NC caps it at 15%.:mug:

I also have some hope of meeting other homebrewers. This is the part where I get all teary eyed, because I HAVE met the home brewers of MS (all 20 of them) and they are a good bunch of outlaws. HBAMM, RIP, et al, keep fighting the beer oppression and injustice.

So do any of you live and brew in the middle of the NC coast?

We head down there every year or two for diving, I'll let you know before we go next time. You are headed to some world class BBQ, the best ones are the ones you could drive right by and never even know that you just passed a BBQ joint. There is one in a gas station looking place about half way between New Bern and Morehead City called Bones. I could see myself making the drive just for a couple of their chopped BBQ sandwiches. They are that good.

PTN

Welcome, I am a fairly recent transplant and you should find the North Carolina scene booming at the moment.

In terms of nearby breweries you will have Mother Earth Brewing is just up the road in Kinston and Duck-Rabbit Brewing isn't too far away they don't have a taproom as of yet but they have started construction on one last time I spoke with them.

Closer to the coast I hear getting the full distribution of all the beers can get a little iffy but if you find yourself in Raleigh-Durham Sam's Quik Stop is a bottle shop mecca. Peace Street Market has good quality offerings though they don't know much about them.

For homebrew shop supplies, I work at American Brewmaster we are in Raleigh, Bull City Homebrew has just changed hands for ownership and is in Durham. Beyond those two it will be a long drive. But we both do mail order or of course plenty of other good folks online i.e. Homebrewers Outpost, Northern Brewer, MoreBeer etc

With all that is going on I would recommend checking out Beerinator site as a good site for North Carolina beer offerings, or heck I try to keep track on my website as well. Feel free to message me if you have specific questions or just need help finding something.

I just got stationed at Lejeune with MARSOC Support Group.

Jacksonville has a couple beer stores, http://www.winesandwares.com/ for instance. They carry a bunch of micro brew stuff.

There's also a homebrew store, Fermentation Station, here as well. I have yet to check out the homebrew store yet because I'm in transition waiting to get my house, so I'm in the barracks right now.

Rah, Sir.

I'm not living there but I have family in New Bern.

You're an hour and more from Raleigh but there's the unofficial disorganization of GRABASS (Greater Raleigh Area Brewers and Suds Sippers) events you're always welcome at. Additionally, ATF (Alcohol Through Fermentation) homebrew club (a REAL one!) is out of New Bern and have a great group of guys.

Take a look at Beer Army's website (beerarmy.com). They are having a few beer fests every now and then, one of which being in New Bern (and the last one was had a ton of Marine / Navy types) and is actually run by a Marine.

I'll second and third Mother Earth. Great beer and great group of guys. Duck-Rabbit is also quite good. Weeping Radish is a bit further but they have some good beer, as well.

Just heard from one of the Piedmont Brewers Cup judges that there is a homebrew club forming around Jacksonville. Feel free to DM me if you want the founders contact info.

did you ever get hooked up with a brew club in the New Bern area? look at atfhomebrewclub.com

I'm moving there!

While I regret abandoning the beer culture of Mississippi in almost as piss poor of a state as I found it, I have done all that I can and it is time to move on. I have eared my wings and the Corps in all her wisdom has decided to put me in the cockpit of the AV-8B Harrier II at MCAS Cherry Point, NC. I have so many great things to look forward to, not the least of which is hovering a jet, but also finally being in a region with some culture, good food, and GOOD BEER. I will never be nostalgic for the days of the 6% ABV cap on beer, because NC caps it at 15%.:mug:

I also have some hope of meeting other homebrewers. This is the part where I get all teary eyed, because I HAVE met the home brewers of MS (all 20 of them) and they are a good bunch of outlaws. HBAMM, RIP, et al, keep fighting the beer oppression and injustice.

So do any of you live and brew in the middle of the NC coast?

Back