Double IPA Heavenscent IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegs empty.. APPROVED!!!! I should have let it mature a bit more because as it got to the end I noticed it getting a little better. Regardless,, Im gonna get another batch in the fermenter ASAP!
Thanks for the recipe!
jason

Just bottled mine Saturday... Looking forward to drinking it.
Tasted sweet after a three week fermentation coming out of fermentater before going to the bottles to carb.

I am planning to brew a version of this (changed the hop schedule a little and substituting 20L caramel malt for 40L caramel malt). I'm playing with the recipe in beersmith on my iPad trying to figure out how to scale it up slightly so I can get as close to 5 gallons into the keg as possible. My question is, how much trub can I expect after fermentation? This will be my 3rd brew so I'm not sure what to expect from a big hoppy beer like this. I am planning to do a starter, occasional shake method, and fermenting in a mini-fridge that will be modified to fit my bucket.

Brewing this for my two-year old's "Hoppy Birthday" party next month. The only minor change I plan to make is to replace the Simcoe with Mosaic. Can't wait to try it, it's my tenth batch but first IPA.

... and, holy crap, it smells good in my house. OG a little higher than the recipe, 1.08, but I'll live with that - my alpha acids were a little higher than yours, too.

Brewing this up today - original recipe (including the hops) but went with 11 lbs of Pilsen LME instead of 9+corn sugar.

Can't wait to give this a taste... now back to the boil!

EDIT: Put up a gallery of images thus far...

Because this was an partial boil (3g boil topped with chilled, filtered tap water to 5gal to bring to pitching temp), the exact OG is harder to determine, but this is what BrewersFriend.com calculates it should be. I should note that I put the efficiency around 45% rather than the default of 30. At 30, the ABV was around 7.98%, which seemed a bit low given the amount of fermentables in there:

OVERVIEW
Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.136
Efficiency: 45% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.020
ABV (standard): 8.03%
IBU (tinseth): 50.77
SRM (morey): 10.16

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen (88%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (12%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 20.74
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 18.21
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.03
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.4
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.02
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.37
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 70 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)​

A week after bottling and I cracked open a bottle. It still has a while to condition and I have a feeling the longer I let this age, the better it'll get.

That said, it was GREAT. The bitterness was well-balanced by a nectar-like sweetness (I mean, FG of 1.020, and it's bound to happen) and the smell of this thing is awesome.

A week after bottling and I cracked open a bottle. It still has a while to condition and I have a feeling the longer I let this age, the better it'll get.

That said, it was GREAT. The bitterness was well-balanced by a nectar-like sweetness (I mean, FG of 1.020, and it's bound to happen) and the smell of this thing is awesome.

Nice! Curious to see if whole cones make a difference as opposed to pellets...

Thanks all for the feedback, as well. Tempted to pass this off to Firestone since they're a 20 minute drive north (brag-brag-brag :p). Glad everyone's enjoying it! :ban:

Brewed this about six weeks ago. My first IPA and my first time dry hopping. Love the tropical fruit notes and balanced hops. I had some issues dry hopping: used a hop bag with a couple marbles to submerge it but the bag still floated on top and the hops were never fully submerged so I feel like some of the wonderful flavors and aromas didn't come through. Thanks for the recipe. I look forward to making this again!

I brewed this about a year ago extract and it turned out great, so I decided it's time to revisit this recipe as I have moved on to all grain brewing. I converted/modified the recipe to AG, but keep the hopping the same.

13 lbs of pilsner
2 lb of dextrose
1.5 lbs of crystal 20
1 of Cara-Pils

Final OG was 1.087 and I did a 90 minute boil. I am concerned there is too much Crystal 20 and Cara Pil, but I think that the Dextrose might balance it out in the end. It's about 1 week into primary and I plan to do a 4 week secondary and dry hop at the end of that to have it ready for thanksgiving.

Back