What was your Christmas haul?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I got a five gallon carboy, which means (trumpets blaring) two-stage fermentation! I also got an apron that says "Master Brewer" on it, a head-ups display thermometer, and a bunch of cool non-brewing stuff like an mp3 player. How about you guys?

I didn't even get any coal. But, the worst part of the driveway got graded last Friday.

I got 30 EZ cap bottles from my brother-in-law who recently started kegging, and $100 from SWMBO for the LHBS. :rockin:

A late train, a day spent in a hotel room 300 miles away from home, and two non-understanding children.

Christmas is tomorrow!

<edit> I do know I'm getting an 11 gallon pot.

SWMBO gave me a card with a picture of this in it.

barleycrushers.jpg

It (the big one on the right) should be here by the time I get back from my next business trip. Whoo hooo!:rockin:

Got a Casio Exilim EX-Z1000 digital camera (I LOVE my photography and photoshoppage), wanted a 5 UK gallon Better Bottle fermenter for secondary fermentation (using my bottling buckets at the mo, meaning i have to prime each bottle individually) but unfortunately I didn't get it, but I acquired £130 (not sure what that is in dollars) but I'm sure it is enough for me to finally move to AG :rockin:

Also got a bottle of this Innis & Gunn IPA, and according to the box there are only 63,000 in existence. Not sure whether to open it or keep it safe for the next 30 years... although that might be a bit extreme eh?

Bottle drying tree, some iodophor (I've never used before), and some caps which I am out of all from Morebeer.com.
I am bottling in the next day or so my APA.

3 Grand from my mom, most of which SWMBO placed off limits. But I think I'm gonna get a mill, a big bag o grain, a false bottom for my MLT and a sight glass for my keggle. Oh yeah :)

Not much in the way of brew equipment...still trying to dial in all the gadgets I've made recently.

However, the NICE poker set and trip to the cigar shop were much appreciated gifts from SWMBO. I got her a decent Panasonic Lumix compact digital camera, the universal remote already discussed here, and a trip to a day spa.

All in all, we had a very nice Christmas together (minus my wretched head cold).

Happy Holidays once again!

I got mucho stuff for my Packer room, some of which were an autographed A.J. Hawk picture, and this:

636-batteredhands.jpg

A bunch of cordless power tools, and the only brewing thing I asked for was a better bottle. It is goign to be so nice having a non-glass carboy with a spigot in it.

I Scored! I got a trip to golf school this summer, a bottle tree, an areation system,yeast starter kit, and the whole day to brew today.
:ban:

I scored quite well.
I got a 250GB external hard drive and a Selection Original Series White Zinfandel kit. I'll be at the LHBS tomorrow for tips on wine making.

Without a doubt.....you are the winner. I didn't get jack...but that's how SWMBO are. If we need something, we just go get it. But I was told I will get something for wedding anniversary on 1/2. I'll take the knobber for my gift from her....yeah, right.

A DeWalt compound miter saw from my parents:rockin: and a 3 roller Crankandstein mill from my wife:rockin: :rockin:

Wow....Christmas and young children......I need a beer right now, good thing they are off to bed here shortly

As for my haul....$150 Gift card to Northern Brewer and a 50ft wort chiller. Scored a nice leather jacket also. Was a great day, not much time for drinking, but days not over yet, and no work tomorrow.

I ordered myself a packet from Morebeer:

- pH meter
- precision hydrometer for the 0.090 - 1.020 range. The thing is off by -0.0025 gravity units :(
- misc brewing supplies

I had my wife put that under the three for me. She also got me Palmer's How To Brew and "Ambitious Brew" which is a history book about American beer.

Kai

Gas chain saw to replace my busted electric one.
18v cordless drill w/ 2 batteries to replace my busted one.
Multimeter to replace my busted one.
couple o movies, belt, quicken 07 etc.

Everything busted this year but my brew gear. Time to go cut a tree :rockin:.

I got Xbox 360, of course the SWMBO forgot the games :drunk:, so I just downloaded some things using the Live features. I got a pair of nice iPod speakers and the complete 1st and 2nd season of Da Ali G show as well. Not to mention a 37 inch flat screen HD ready tv by VIZIO, so not a bad haul you might say :D .

Gift certificates to LHBS so not sure yet. They're not open until Thursday afternoon so I'll figure it out then. Got loads of stuff from my wife's trip to Ireland including an Irish Pub Calendar for the new bar we're building. Got Madden 07 for the boys so I'll be playing with that and all the other cool games.

I got a hurricane burner, crankandstien mill, 8 23 oz pilsner glasses(engraved) about 8 vintage beer signs, and some more stuff, but the coolest thing was when my grandmother handed me a coupon for 50 cents off a packet of baking yeast and an old folded up piece of paper. As I was unfolding the piece of paper and explaining the difference in yeasts and thanking her for thinking of me, I read the piece of paper. It was a hand written recipe from my great grandfather for a simple beer recipe. I asked her about it and she said it was my grandpa's dad's recipe and then grandpa went on to explain how they would store it in the attic and they would be sitting around every now and then and hear "POP" and they new the bottle tops were blowing. he told me he didnt know why they stored it up there then I offered up because of prohibition. that was where they hide the juice.

I am going to have the recipe framed.

SWMBO got me this!
Oak Barrel.jpeg

A 7.25 gallon used Bordeaux barrel. I couldn't believe it. I've been wanting a used French oak barrel for some time to do some barrel aging. I've been experimenting with oak cubes for a while now and really wanted to work with the real thing. I now need to decide on a recipe as my first beer to rack into the barrel. I also need to do a lot of reading on how to properly use this thing. Any input from those of you with experience would be greatly appreciated. Also got some cool books also pictured.

Toot said:
I got a knobber and a good breakfast from my girlfriend. The rest of today was then spent with family and that was ok.

Game, set, and match. Beats the hell out of my ipod, which I'll never figure out how to use........

Beer Related Stuff:

-Complete kegging kit from my girlfriend (10lb C02, 5-gal corny, dual gauage regulator, the works)
-4-Pack Miller Chocolate Holiday beer from my sister
-4-Pack New Glarus Enigma beer from my sister
-1 single of a beer I cannot remember, but tasty, from my sister
-6-pack of a pepper flavored beer from my sister
-Paulner Hefeweisbeer stein from my sister

Dunno why, but I made out like a bandit this year from my family. I must've been a good boy. :D Yes, yes,rn. they made good by me as well, I was a good boy in retu:p :p

Merry Christmas to my fellow brewsmiths!

Brewed a Schwartzbier and got a humidor, console for the truck, and a rebuilt engine from myself!

Wild

brewed our traditional christmas eve stout, and received a bench capper (woot!), digital candy thermometer, and 'brewing like a monk'

Brewing related I got a subscription to BYO and North American Clone Brews. I also got a new Milwaukee Admirals jersey (or at least the promise of one when it comes in ,since SWMBO missed the cutoff by 1 day).
But mostly I got to watch my 18 month old daughter really enjoy the first Christmas she was old enough to understand.

The Christmas haul was minimal - in effect, SWMBO said that she wouldn't complain about all the $$ I've been dropping on brew-gear recently :D

The only brewing-related thing to come out of the holiday was a couple of hydrometers. BUT - they are old, old ones from my grandfather, who was a physician. Very small, very delicate. One only goes up to about 1040, the other to around 1060. But, they're cool. Looks like they were used to measure sugar content in the patient's urine, so they WILL need to be cleaned up even if they just make it to the display case.

Plus, it looks like they may have been manufactured in my hometown. One of them is labeled "Adams Midget Urinometer," the other "Adams Squibb Urinometer."

Just something quirky with some family history for the display case, along with the beer steins I never use.

EDIT: "Adams" refers to "Clay Adams," a manufacturer. It was also "Midget," not "Dwarf" (looks like that term refers to the fact it only reads up to 1045).

Brewing/Beer related:
2 cases of EZ-Cap swing tops that I put to use today 12/26/06.
MidwestSupplies.com Copper Ale Kit
Pack of 50 novelty beer coasters
Tin "Best Head in Town, Come to Lucky's Pub" Barsign
2 Brewing recipe books: "HomeBrewers Recipe Guide" by Higgins, Kilgore and "HomeBrew Favorites" by Lutzen, Stevens

I think I made out OK on the hobby side of it. :)

Other stuff I got includes the standard sweaters, cologne, watch, wallet, car-cleaning supplies/waxes, and a few Benjamins from the folks. :)

EDIT: I really like the first book mentioned above. A lot of extract recipes (which is my trade right now) of all types and about 30 pages of food recipes that all put to use a little brew. :)

Nothing brewing related, more beer related. My sister got me a Leinenkugel's variety 12-pack and my parents got me a Shiner Blonde t-shirt! Other than that, a new cell phone and some model railroad stuff from my girlfriend, money and lots of gift cards form everyone else!

I got a Lionel O-scale Pennsylvania Flyer train set for around the tree (long story) and three (3) kegs! I also received a few books about brewing and a couple GCs for the LHBS.

More importantly, I was in town for Christmas this year.

:)

Back