Dry Hops Floating: Intervention Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
All -
Just dryhopping a Pliny clone - with ~6oz ounces of pellet dry hops. Let the Pliny ferment out for 12 days (down to 1.013) prior to racking and hopping. Mostly they are floating on top.

I understand that often CO2 can keep them on top, but I dont think there is a lot of that in a 12 day fermented beer that is down to 1.012.

So my question: Should I just let it be or is there something I need to do?

For the first 2 days after I dryhop, I'll give the carboy a gentle swirl. This will usually help the wet hops to settle. Even doing this and then leaving in the secondary for 7-10 days, there are still going to be hops floating on the top.

From this point either going into a bottling bucket or a keg, I'll just loosly tie a hop bag onto the end of my siphon hose to catch anything that gets sucked up.

I'm sure there are other methods, but this is easy any works for me.:mug:

Bull

Sanitize a mesh bag, a piece of string/wire, and a spoon.

Put the hops and spoon in the bag and tie it off.

Spoons are denser than beer, hence sink.

I was back and forth on the mesh bag and marbles... but almost everyone that I have read that does that suffers at least some loss of utilization or flavor or effect as a result of the bag.

Between settling and the bag at racking, I've never had any problems with floaters in my beer.

I've never tried dryhopping in a bag so I can't compare the difference between the 2 methods.

I just stick with what works for me.

Bull

You put that bag on the tube end that is going into the bottling bucket? Or on the end that goes into the beer youre siphoning?

On the end of the outlet hose in the bottling bucket.

If you put a bag on the end of your auto-siphon pickup, It would hang down into the trub your trying not to disturb.

Good luck.

Bull

How long has it been? I've dry hopped with 3 oz at a time at most, but they've always sunk when I've come back after a week to look at it.

I say, no worries, just wait em out.

Back