Dip tube needed with stainless steel braid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atromic

Reaction score
I'm going to be building a 3gal mash tun this weekend to start doing some big partial mashes in my apartment and I was wondering if a dip tube was necessary.

None of the threads I've seen have one in the design... Will the braid pull the wort off of the bottom without a tube?

I don't use a diptube... You'll leave a little wort in the dead space. Of course, I just tip the cooler to get the last bit of goodness out.

Thanks. I guess the little bit of sugars left in the dead space is pretty negligible after 2 batch sparges?

Right. If your braid is stiff, then you don't need a tube in it. If it's easily crushed flat, you'll get better flow with something to prop it open. Doesn't need to be attached or even a tube, a couple pieces of wire would do.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to use some copper fittings to get the braid to clamp on near the bottom but as the others have said, you can tilt the cooler towards the bulkhead to get most of the wort out. Deadspace does impact efficiency, but in a partial mash it's not all that critical.

Latest posts

Back