How long will starter last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
I made my first starter Thursday night with white labs calif. ale yeast. It sat on the stirplate all day Friday. Saturday morning I turned it off to let it settle with the intentions of brewing Saturday night. I didn't, so I put the starter in the fridge expecting to brew today. This morning I took it out of the fridge to come to room temp, but now might not be able to brew.
If I can't brew tonight, will the starter be ok tomorrow? Should I put it back in the fridge till tomorrow, or just leave it out?
Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply, should I turn the stirplate back on again, or just leave it still? I have yeast nutrients, is that what you mean by feeding it, or do you mean more dme?

I wouldn't put it back on the stirplate.

What I mean by feeding it is add more starter wort. But you'll need a bigger vessel. It's called building up a starter. Let's say you start with a 1Q starter. It finishes and then you pitch that into a 2Q starter making a 3Q starter without "stressing" the yeast. It's not necessary. It was just another option for you.

Back