1st and 2nd Partial Mash Batches - Loving It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezerhoden

Reaction score
I bought a 5 gallon cooler and coverted it to a mash tun with ball valve and stainless braid. I made an Amarillo IPA last week. I just winged it and had 63% efficiency. I learned a lot from this batch. It tasted great a few days later when I tasted the hydro sample. My second batch was last night and I made a Brown Ale. I used Beersmith and did a proper sparge following the Beersmith recommendation and had 72% efficiency. I was nice to have to back off on the DME to hit my # and not have to add more. My starting gravity was right on and the hydro sample tasted great. I love partial mashing. I can't wait to start drinking these two in a few weeks.

I have a 5 gallon pot. The last batch had 6 lbs of grains and I collected 4 gallons of wort. I would need a much larger pot, an IC, and a propane burner to go all grain. I will do this, but I am accumulating things as I have the money. Hopefully buy spring I will be doing all grain.

Back