Dry hopping with whole cones:(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmadness

Reaction score
So I dry hopped my harvest IPA with whole cone hops picked and dried about two weeks ago. Much to my disapointment, my beer now tastes INCREDIBLY grassy....to the point that it is unpleasant. I dry hopped and then kegged and threw an ounce of hops in the keg too.....tasted it today, and while it is not carbed yet...it tastes like junk. The beer tasted great (albeit flat) when I went from the primary into the carboy for dry hopping. Any one have similiar experience?? Did it mellow out at all??? Like I said...this is unpleasant...hope I didn't ruin my IPA:( Appreciate your input.

It will mellow, definitely. I have had this experience dry hopping in the keg. The other flavor I have had is extreme lemon/citrus or an Iced tea like astringent flavor. All of these mellowed within a week and all the beers were great.

I always use whole cones to dry-hop with - I only had slightly grassy flavors once when I left them for 12 days, but after bottle conditioning everything tasted fine. I agree that after 5-6 days you'll have about all you can get from dry hops.

I bet it mellows out if you give it a couple more weeks.

I agree dry hopping with WET hops will give you a grassy taste,but The only problem Iv'e ever had with well dried whole hops is that they soak up a butt load of beer.I much prefer pellets.

weird...I have the opposite experiences. I get grassy flavors when dry hopping with pellets. I agree that WET hops with leave a grassy note. But as mentioned above, let is sit for a week or 2 and it should be good.

Back