my airlock is filled with wine!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ky-Ale

Reaction score
so i threw together a quick gallon and fit it with an air lock, its been bubbling like crazy for the past 24 hours and the lock is filled with wine. This is my first try at making wine, should i refill the airlock or just un plug it and cover it with a towel or something?

so i threw together a quick gallon and fit it with an air lock, its been bubbling like crazy for the past 24 hours and the lock is filled with wine. This is my first try at making wine, should i refill the airlock or just un plug it and cover it with a towel or something?

If it's just starting (in primary), then take off the airlock and cover the opening with a clean napkin if it's a carboy, or a clean towel if it's a bucket. You want to keep fruit flies and other critters out, but you definitely don't need an airlock yet. You can use the airlock after the activity begins to slow down, after about 5 days.

Back