3 tier rig build started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
i started my rig build today. i stole some ideas from other rigs on here.
i am using 2" box for the bottom and the "mast." the burner plates and cooler holder will be made from 1.5" box.

tips? ideas?

Mar28_0001.jpg

24' cut down to pieces
Mar28_0002.jpg

bottom frame tacked
Mar28_0003.jpg

ugh, its been a while. its getting ugly
Mar28_0004.jpg

this thing is older than my dad, and it still works like a champ. if only i was any good at using it.

Mar28_0005.jpg

things are getting a little better. switched to a smaller rod
Mar28_0006.jpg

the grinding wheel doesnt care how ugly your welds are
Mar28_0007.jpg

capped the top. doing the bottom legs now.

more pictures to come.

so i was thinking about using some sort of roller syatem instead of a steel sleeve to raise and lower the bottom level. this way it wont tear up the paint.

i am terrible at these computer programs, but maybe something like this.

if you kinda get the idea?
untitled.jpg

the red would be rollers 2 on one side, one on the other.

ok, the base is done(not painted yet.) all of the burner stands are cut. the HLT stand is welded but i didnt fit a grate in there yet. i also havent figured out what i am going to use for burners yet. i plan to steal the one from my turkey fryer for the hlt, and possibly one from a 250,000 BTU drywall heater for my BK. or i might just buy a banjo burner

the top tier is on. i was standing on it, and i weigh about 280, so i think it will hold.
Mar30_0001.jpg

the bottom 2 tiers are framed out. i need to cut the grates and wele the one on, and then make the roller system for the bk tier.
Mar30_0002.jpg

ok, the base is done(not painted yet.) all of the burner stands are cut. the HLT stand is welded but i didnt fit a grate in there yet. i also havent figured out what i am going to use for burners yet. i plan to steal the one from my turkey fryer for the hlt, and possibly one from a 250,000 BTU drywall heater for my BK. or i might just buy a banjo burner

Lookin' good!

I used these burners- $8 each from Agri- Supply:

30295.jpg

The pic isn't the best, but I'm happy with the burners.

I use the same ones. They work fine. Get a 0-20 psi regulator and they'll provide more BTUs that you really need.

LOL. I bought a 0-60 regulator at the local Menard's.:eek: Overkill, I know, but it was the only one they had that went past 10psi. I just don't let it go wide open.

Mar31_0002.jpg

ok, the middle rack is on. tomorrows project is to put a grate on the burner rack, and then build some sort of support for it while its in the down position. and if theres time, work on the roller system to make the bottom tier move up and down to drain into the fermenter

yes. if you look at the original pictures, you might be able to get the idea. its a rough drawing, but its making sense in my head

i bought a bunch of pieces for it. i'll take a bunch of pictures tomorrow when i am trying to get it together

I really don't think you need a roller system. I think a 6" high sleeve that just fit over the main mast is fine. Are you going to use a boat winch to lift? Maybe a scissor jack?

I really don't think you need a roller system. I think a 6" high sleeve that just fit over the main mast is fine. Are you going to use a boat winch to lift?

That's the way I did it. But I think he's pretty much resigned to the roller system, since he's got the base and the upper tiers welded on already. There's no way to get a sleeve on there without taking things apart. Hopefully he is able to assemble his roller system around the trunk..........

the roller system is intended to keep the paint nice and fresh looking. with a sleeve i figured it would scrape up and down and remove the paint. the roller "should" leave the paint job. thats it. no real big reason

brew ta something... the grates i has just laying around here. if you fins a steel dealer near you, they should have it. i know the one near me does. i am sure thats where we got this years ago, but i found this just laying around our shop here.

the grates we had just laying around here at our shop.

there is a place right up the street from us called hoover steel. they sell all types of metal and such. i know they have it, so i am sure if you find a steel dealer around you just give them a call.

so this roller thing is turning into a real PITA. the balance os so off and when the BK is full the balance will be oven more off so its pretty much like a sleeve any way because when it goes up and down its still shredding the paint. i might try to re think it and see what i can come up with

instead of rollers, try solid Teflon block with rounded edges on the support side of the block's edges. It will be slick enough for a smooth slide and won't allow any tilting of the sleeze when weight is pulling on one side assuming you cut it to proper size not allowing any movement between it and the support.

irregular and bobby. both great ideas. i'll look into those sheets. i was thinking about something to slide up and down. or i need to come up with a much better roller system. i knew it was too easy to put together and work well. it works, but just not well. i also need to think about balance. with wither 5 or 10 galons, its gonna be pulling down differently.

new idea for the lift
Apr07_0001.jpg

Apr07_0002.jpg

my showed my dad my lift idea and show him how it was crappy. he gave me this. said it was off of an old lathe. i cleaned it up and got it turning well. i welded an old socket to the top. next i am going to add some weight and see how well it lifts.

Back