My "NO CHILL" experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrestler63

Reaction score
I am going to try the No Chill method but in a controlled enviroment. Because I brew outside and the cold winters make it a hassle to chill my brew with water, this looks like a good thing for me in the winter months if it indeed works.
I am just going to brew my normal 11g batch, cube 5.5g and chill the other 5.5g and pitch as normal. I will then pitch the cubed wort the next day. Same yeast, same wort, same ferment temps, and then keg both when finished and see the end result comparisons. This should answer alot of questions for myself and others.
I am sure there will be a difference in the 2 beers, but will it be a difference that is so far off I will not enjoy the final product? We shall see soon enough.
Cheers:tank:

I did a "no chill" recently. Ran out of time, so I left the kettle sitting in the brewery while I went to my square dancing class. It was down to 65F when I got back. Coming along, I'll know better in two weeks when I keg it.

It will be interesting to hear your results.

If you have plenty of late hops, there will be a more noticeable difference. Thus the work that people have put into hop adjustment charts.
Will they both be enjoyable? Certainly.
This has been done before in the many No Chill threads, but looking forward to your personal resutls.
Good luck.

If you have plenty of late hops, there will be a more noticeable difference. Thus the work that people have put into hop adjustment charts.
Will they both be enjoyable? Certainly.
This has been done before in the many No Chill threads, but looking forward to your personal resutls.
Good luck.

I was going to try this on my tried and true IPA recipe. It is hopped every 10 min. starting at 60 min of boil.
Cheers :tank:

I did a "no chill" recently. Ran out of time, so I left the kettle sitting in the brewery while I went to my square dancing class. It was down to 65F when I got back. Coming along, I'll know better in two weeks when I keg it.

It will be interesting to hear your results.

My other option when temps are cold is to just put my kettle on the cold cement at flame out and let it chill with ambient temps and see what that brings as well. This might be a "middle of the road" type solution.
Cheers:tank:

Keep us updated on the progress. I am no-chilling and kinda like it. I am only doing five gallon batches at this time but hope to do some ten gallons nad split them up with different yeasts.

I was going to try this on my tried and true IPA recipe. It is hopped every 10 min. starting at 60 min of boil.
Cheers :tank:

If you could try another recipe first, you may want to.
Perhaps something without late addition hops?

I no-chill almost everything and am a big proponent.
In all honestly, I've had mixed results no-chilling big hoppy beers.

If you could try another recipe first, you may want to.
Perhaps something without late addition hops?

I no-chill almost everything and am a big proponent.

perhaps my brown ale then ?
:mug:

Hefeweizens are great too, as they dont really rely on late hop additions.

Hows this for the hop schedule on a hoppy American Brown I'm planning to do as a No-Chill:

1 oz Warrior (16.1 aa) at First Wort Hopping
1 oz Vanguard (4 aa) at First Wort Hopping
3 oz Amarillo (7 aa) at Dry Hopping

(Just trying to get rid of some of the stuff in my freezer)

Am I right that the FWH additions will give me some extra hop flavor? That's what I'm hopping for.

FWH in my experience will give you a "round" bitterness and flavor, yes

Best of luck, people have had plenty of success with no chill... hope your results are the same.

So, I am looking to get a container for my no chill...I have found water container that say food safe in 7 and 5 gallons. Problem mis they are blue.....Is this a problem? Should I hold out foir white ones?

Would you say the mixed results you had with these beers is because of issues with altering the hop additions for greater utilization w/ no chill?

Just wondering what your "mixed results" are actually...

Would you say the mixed results you had with these beers is because of issues with altering the hop additions for greater utilization w/ no chill?

Just wondering what your "mixed results" are actually...

Rather than “mixed”, I probably should have said “not as good as” results.

The beers I’ve no-chilled that have multiple late hop additions (IPA, ESB) seem to have muddled hop flavor and aroma. So, rather than trying to figure out the problem/solution, I pull out the IC for those types of beers.

I do the same as Chucke. I no chill 'almost' everything with good results. I love the time it saves and not having make a dme starter. However, if I'm doing an IPA, I dust off the chiller. I can't say that I've had mixed or bad results, but the timed hop additions from the recipe and the cost of hops are such that chilling the wort is just easier in this case.

When you have 10 or 12 ounces of hops going into a beer, good results can be finicky even with a chiller. If I didn't have a chiller, I think I could still do a pretty fine IPA, however, I have one, and the extra time spent chilling is time saved from having to figure out when to move all those hop additons.

I think what I've heard is that FWH will take off the sharp hop "bite" of late-hopped beers. Its a smoother, rounder hop flavor. So probably not what you want to showcase in your Balls Out American 7oz-of-Centennial IPA.

So if you are looking for FWH to replace that 5 oz of centennial added in the last 15 min of the boil, then you'll probably be disappointed.

Back