Just Another Brew Day...(Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9828d1234796605-just-another-brew-day-pics-witness_2.jpg

Not that I've noticed. :D

I'll attest to to that! Great white frothy head that lasts

I pulled my first sample (220z) from the keg today once my "Eh Rye Not" boil was started. Holy crap this stuff is good. The neighbor (who doesn't like beer) was having a yard sale and SWMBO was hanging out over there. I took my glass over to hangout during the boil My 2 SILs came over too and I think I got 3 drinks from the 22ozs. This is a great summertime beer for all. I will be doing it again SOON to take to a music festival in june. this is 3 weeks grain to glass fantastic.
*The neighbor who doesn't like beer kept telling me how good it was and just 2 minutes ago was over here returning a flower pot and told me, You need to have that stuff all the time! Nice recipe BM!

After drinking several of these Saturday then having some friends over yesterday and us all going through several more, I'll be making 10 Gallons more of this very soon.

Brewed this Sat and made a total mess.

1 - I added the spices and orange at hot brake (miss read instructions)
2 - Still dialing in my process and did boil off enough ending up with >6 gals of wort with a OG of 1.036 Im hoping for 3% ABV lol!

It does smell good and should go fast!

Ordering up ingredients to make another 10G of this and NB is out of Flaked wheat. Any substituions? I never ordered from anywhere besides them because they rock. How I noticed Torrified Wheat is the whole kernel version of this but I don't wanna deal with any extra processes. and I don't have a grinder. The description for Flaked Oats is similar to the Flaked Wheat but don't know what it will do to flavor profile.

*just gonna go with AHS and give them a try*

I had a beer and wine tasting party this last weekend and this beer went over really well. I am afraid to check the level on the keg actually.

I cracked open a RIS that I brewed back in Feb and even though it was young (3 months) it tasted great and can't wait until fall for this one.

I realized this morning in the shower (yes I think about brewing in the shower you don't?) that I forgot to order Rice Hulls this time. Any thing I can substitute with? Don't wanna deal with a stuck sparge on a 10G brew day.

I’m tossing aside a SN Pale Ale Clone to brew this recipe this weekend. I had been planning on a 5-gallon AG batch to see if I liked it or not. However, after reading through all the posts I'm going for a full 10-gallon AG batch. This many people just can't be wrong. Still undecided on the yeast though.

I’m tossing aside a SN Pale Ale Clone to brew this recipe this weekend. I had been planning on a 5-gallon AG batch to see if I liked it or not. However, after reading through all the posts I'm going for a full 10-gallon AG batch. This many people just can't be wrong. Still undecided on the yeast though.

Definitely go with a Wit yeast!! Don't go basic Notty or Saf /05. I used Wyeast Beligum Wit Yeast and it gave it a GREAT banana/clove flavor that goes great with the orange and corriander

I think I might be brewing this tonight when I get home. You think substituting a portion of the orange rind with some lime rind (I only have a few oranges not sure if I can make 6-7 ounces from them) would be ok or would it be to bitter? I'm planning on using Safale t-58.

Anyone that has brewed this have you encountered a stuck sparge? LHBS owner thought that it might so I swapped the Flaked Wheat and White Wheat Malt. Thoughts? Brewing on Friday so I guess I'll see.

Anyone that has brewed this have you encountered a stuck sparge? LHBS owner thought that it might so I swapped the Flaked Wheat and White Wheat Malt. Thoughts? Brewing on Friday so I guess I'll see.

I got my worst stuck sparge to date with this brew. I had about a 1/4lb of rice hulls in the mash which I guess was not enough for the brew. I usually blow up the tube to push the stuck grain the other direction, but this time I had to suck it and got a mouthfull of wort instead mixed with a lot of grain. Anyways, I made it through but I might suggest upping the rice hull amount.

P.S. I have a 10G round cooler with a false bottom and have my barley crusher to to default. Although I am sure it was the wheat that got to me on this one and it was not crushed.

I got my worst stuck sparge to date with this brew. …I am sure it was the wheat that got to me on this one and it was not crushed.

Most definitely the wheat.

I don’t measure my rice hulls by weight, but by eyeballing the volume. My minimum is a saucepot full, but for a grist like this, at least two saucepots full.

One thing to try and prevent next time is to sparge very slowly. Especially with a false bottom, a quick sparge will create enough suction to compress the grain bed and quickly clog your FB.

Poop, Now I'm debating on rather or not to go ahead and brew this or wait untill I can get some Hulls. No other ingredients and this is basically mandatory day to brew to have beer for music festival.

*Uhg, looks like a run to the worst HBS ever is in toll for brew day. $3/lb for f'ing rice hulls! Are you kidding me!!

Most definitely the wheat.

I don’t measure my rice hulls by weight, but by eyeballing the volume. My minimum is a saucepot full, but for a grist like this, at least two saucepots full.

One thing to try and prevent next time is to sparge very slowly. Especially with a false bottom, a quick sparge will create enough suction to compress the grain bed and quickly clog your FB.

Thanks, I try to sparge very slow, it takes about 5 minutes to fill 6 qts. My stuck sparges always occur right after the mash when I try to start the draining. The first time I turn that ball valve and nothing comes out not matter how open it is, I know I have to un-stick it.

It didn't happen this last weekend on 11lbs of Vienna but that is pretty rare. It is also not hard to get it unstuck so I usually don't worry too much about it.

Yeah but a pound of rice hulls will look like 5 pounds. :D

I wonder how many pounds of rice hulls are in a sauce pan./ I think I used a half pound last time when I did the 5G batch, I'm gonna pick up 3 lbs just to have around. Gonna pick up another Ale Pail while I'm there. prices are normal on those at least. Don't wanna make a 2 hour round trip for $3

I brewed this last week and had no issues with sparging (false bottom MT).

So far it looks (smells) like it'll be an outstanding beer, cheers BM! :mug:

Well 1 pound of Rice Hulls in the 10G recipe was enough. No where close to a stuck sparge. 10 more Gallons of this Summer greatness bubbling away downstairs. With Blowoff of course. I used 2.25tbsp of black pepper this time. Last time it was pre-ground this time I bought a cheap coffee grinder and use whole peppercorns. I could taste the black pepper a lot more in this hydro sample (Spicy kick in the back of the throat) and am anxious to see how much more the coriander came through being ground vs just hit with a rolling pin before.

BTW did anyone else notice this smelling like hot dogs during fermentation?? Maybe it was the Yeast I use? Taste great final product, but my basement literally smells like HotDogs once high kraussen comes.

Just have to say...
I bottled this last night, I originally brewed it for SWMBO because she can't stant IPA's or Stouts. The best compliment she could have given me was she walked into the kitchen when i was bottling and said "that smells pretty damn good considering its beer." HOLY CARP... a compliment on beer, from the whino in the family. We shall see how she carbs up and conditions, but would you all recomend drinking this young, or letting er' sit? :rockin:

Wit, Wheats, Hefeweizens (happy DB?) are generally known to be best young. But I found this recipe getting better around week 2-3 in the keg than it was during week 1. Didn't really last past that.

I did this today, just pitched a few mins ago. I used mixed blend pepercorns instead of just the black pepper, gave it a nice spice. I also had to use half a lime zested to get up to 6 ounces with the orange zest. Aroma and taste was wonderful.

I did this today, just pitched a few mins ago. I used mixed blend pepercorns instead of just the black pepper, gave it a nice spice. I also had to use half a lime zested to get up to 6 ounces with the orange zest. Aroma and taste was wonderful.

Can you notice any contribution from the lime?

Da*n, been enjoying the crap out of this beer BierMuncher, Thanks for the recipe!

would you all recomend drinking this young, or letting er' sit?

The beer hasn't changed a whole lot from week 1 to week 4 but I would say, so far, the longer the better.

Can you notice any contribution from the lime?

Oh sorry I didn't even notice your post, I should have added more lime perhaps an entire lime or two. It's got a pleasant spicy kick to it from the peppercorn mix, the orange is vaguely in the background and the lime is hardly noticeable if at all there. Next time I'll shall add more citrus with extra lime. Overall this is a damn good wit. Here is an obligatory photo:

Picture 001.jpg

Well this was a HUGE hit this past weekend at FreelyFest (Local Hippie Music Fest) I took 4 gallons (I had 5 but somehow lost a gallon between the time it was kegged and when it made it into the jugs.) *It may be in my belly!*

Everyone enjoyed it and kept saying, You made this?! I have 5 more gallons in fermenter ready to go to keg this week when I get time to transfer it. Man 15G of this stuff in 2 months! Good recipe!

Well this was a HUGE hit this past weekend at FreelyFest (Local Hippie Music Fest) I took 4 gallons (I had 5 but somehow lost a gallon between the time it was kegged and when it made it into the jugs.) *It may be in my belly!*

Everyone enjoyed it and kept saying, You made this?! I have 5 more gallons in fermenter ready to go to keg this week when I get time to transfer it. Man 15G of this stuff in 2 months! Good recipe!

Sweet.

Glad we could sway those of the hippie persuasion to the world of homebrew. :mug:

I can interpert the meaning of cockles... and must say they are nice and warm for a change!

Wow this looks tasty now I'm tempted to change a Honey Weizen I have scheduled to brew on thursday and add a few of these touches too it. Or I might just have to brew this next looks great BM!

my lhbs doesnt have flaked wheat except in 1# bags that are $3 a piece which I dont want to buy 9#s of at that price. Another lhbs not too far away has red flaked wheat at a good price is that a reasonable substitute? or should I wait and order flaked wheat

Back