Mold in my chest freezer/"fermentation chamber"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 5 gallon Ale Pail in my chest freezer at around 68 degrees for a month. Today I am bottling and the pail had spots of green mold all over it. Does anyone know of a good method for avoiding this? Thank you!

I second using damp rid or any similar type of moisture absorbing gel.

I get this in my ferm chamber. So long as you are careful and don't expose the beer, it will be fine. You might check the seal and make sure it hasn't pull away or flattened in some area. Usually if there is mold it's because warmer air and moisture is getting in. In my case it's because I haven't completely sealed the chamber up and I haven't had it empty for long enough to do my final touches to fix that.

Just be sure to wash off the mold before you use the fermentor again, but it's not something to worry about unless it is getting in the beer.

Cheers!

I get this in my ferm chamber. So long as.......

The chest freezer appears to be sealed well. I am guessing this happened because my basement's air is a bit moist and it's just stagnant air in the freezer. I'm going to give the Damp Rid a shot... The beer was fine, luckily.

The chest freezer appears to be sealed well. I am guessing this happened because my basement's air is a bit moist and it's just stagnant air in the freezer. I'm going to give the Damp Rid a shot... The beer was fine, luckily.

Luck isn't a part of it. If you have CO2 on the beer from fermentation and it's a closed container then no mold will get in.

Make a pouch from layer of cheesecloth and a few cups of non-clumping crystalline cat litter. Drop in in the freezer. Replace every few months.

Back