decided to try a pilsner or lager of some sort, ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I will be attempting my first lager style beer and wanted to know what you all have done in the past that has worked for you. I have checked the recipe data base and want more ideas. My swmbo has had enough of my life changing ipa's and wheat beers. Lets put this fermenter to good use!

Well I can tell you my first lager was a Marzen and it flew off my shelves. I was getting sick of PAs for a minute, and needed something malty. Pretty simple recipe with just munich and noble hops.

Well I can tell you my first lager was a Marzen and it flew off my shelves. I was getting sick of PAs for a minute, and needed something malty. Pretty simple recipe with just munich and noble hops.

thank you i will look into marzens a bit closer. im noticing alot of smash recipes for pilsners...

I brewed my first lager this year. 10lb of pilsner malt, 1/4 pound of Saaz, WLP800. BIAB mashed around 68C and boiled 90min. Fermented around 10C then lagered near freezing for 4 weeks.

I think I might have used a bit more hops and been ok.

Why don't you review the BJCP style guidelines and see what strikes your fancy. There are a huge range of lagers. Without knowing what type of beer you like or what you are looking for, it's virtually impossible to give you decent advice. Frankly, don't contemplate a lager unless you have the ability to pitch enough healthy yeast, provide a good amount of O2 for them to thrive, and control your temperature in the proper range for whatever yeast you employ.

You mentioned pilsners. Bohemian pilsner is one of my favourite styles. I made 10g yesterday. 79% Weyermann pilsner malt, 11% carapils, 9% carahell, 1% acidulated. Saaz hops to 41 IBUs with one addition at 75 minutes another at 10 minutes, and another in the whirlpool for aroma. I'll also give it a short dry-hopping. Reverse osmosis water with a small calcium chloride addition. Wyeast 2278. Recipe was devised after reading "Continental Pilsner" by David Miller.

I did make a SMASH pilsner once upon a time but would never do it again.

osagedr said:
Why don't you review the BJCP style guidelines and see what strikes your fancy. There are a huge range of lagers. Without knowing what type of beer you like or what you are looking for, it's virtually impossible to give you decent advice. Frankly, don't contemplate a lager unless you have the ability to pitch enough healthy yeast, provide a good amount of O2 for them to thrive, and control your temperature in the proper range for whatever yeast you employ.

You mentioned pilsners. Bohemian pilsner is one of my favourite styles. I made 10g yesterday. 79% Weyermann pilsner malt, 11% carapils, 9% carahell, 1% acidulated. Saaz hops to 41 IBUs with one addition at 75 minutes another at 10 minutes, and another in the whirlpool for aroma. I'll also give it a short dry-hopping. Reverse osmosis water with a small calcium chloride addition. Wyeast 2278. Recipe was devised after reading "Continental Pilsner" by David Miller.

I did make a SMASH pilsner once upon a time but would never do it again.

Thanks a bunch. I have a stir plate, 7 gal kettle, mash tun and a fermentation chamber built from a fridge with temp control which can reach freezing temps. O2 would be my only concern, i have had great success stirring the heck out of wort in the past. I have made a lot of ipa's Amber, rye and wheats. Looking for something to suit my tastes as well as those less ventured in beer tasting. I just want something new to try. The temps in my house have become ale yeast tolerable, thus freeing up my ferment chamber for long time use. Im leaning towards an American pilsner with a bit more body, malt forward and a unique hop character. Cheers

rauchbier? a well made one is delicate and excellent, like the hint of hardwood campfire left on your jacket the day after a bonfire (rather than like sticking your face in acrid pine smoke)

thanks for the input guys. now i am hoping you could help resolve another question i have... I am noticeing that most pilsners are fermented for a few weeks at a low temp (mid 40's - 50's) then lagered for around two months. That seems like along time for a 5% beer. Is it typical for a lager to take around three months start to finish? can they be done sooner? ive done some reading and will continue my research but was hoping for a more simple answer from people who have already gone through the process for the first time. thanks and cheers!

basilchef said:
thanks for the input guys. now i am hoping you could help resolve another question i have... I am noticeing that most pilsners are fermented for a few weeks at a low temp (mid 40's - 50's) then lagered for around two months. That seems like along time for a 5% beer. Is it typical for a lager to take around three months start to finish? can they be done sooner? ive done some reading and will continue my research but was hoping for a more simple answer from people who have already gone through the process for the first time. thanks and cheers!

Lagering isn't magic and doesn't necessarily require a set amount of time... it's simply storing a beer cold and allowing minuscule particulates to settle out. As with ale yeasts, some take longer while others are quicker. Either way, a crisp and bright lager beer will likely need at least 4 weeks at near freezing temps. I ferment around 52-55F for 2 weeks, raise to 68F for a 2-3 day diacetyl rest, cold crash for a week, transfer from primary to keg and let it lager while carbing up in my keezer for a month. I test it weekly until it is crystal clear, then drink like a banshee!

Brulosopher said:
Lagering isn't magic and doesn't necessarily require a set amount of time... it's simply storing a beer cold and allowing minuscule particulates to settle out. As with ale yeasts, some take longer while others are quicker. Either way, a crisp and bright lager beer will likely need at least 4 weeks at near freezing temps. I ferment around 52-55F for 2 weeks, raise to 68F for a 2-3 day diacetyl rest, cold crash for a week, transfer from primary to keg and let it lager while carbing up in my keezer for a month. I test it weekly until it is crystal clear, then drink like a banshee!

You prime then lager? What if i cant start kegging until after the holidays?

If you are bottle conditioning, you can bottle after primary let them carb for a few weeks and then lager the bottles but it will take longer for the sulfur character to fade. Lagering in the keg is a lot quicker. Sample from time to time, if its clear and isn't overly sulfury, then its ready to drink. It does take a long time but it worth it when they turn out good.

As for styles to start with, pilsners are great but really highlight any flaws in your process. Dunkels are probably easier being darker and people have less experience with them and won't recognize a less than perfect dunkel as easy as a pilsner. For yeast I'd recommend wy2124 Bohemian lager as its very forgiving with temp control.

basilchef said:
You prime then lager? What if i cant start kegging until after the holidays?

Just cold crash longer, basically lager on yeast cake, no biggie.

I'm going to make a maibock in a few weeks, for a spring time beer.

Lagering does take time, but it makes a big difference for the best lager.

Generally, you ferment 10-14 days or so at 50 degrees. Then do a diacetyl rest at 60 degrees for 48 hours or so, and then rack and store the beer at near freezing. A good rule of thumb for lagering is to lager at 34 degrees for one week for each 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.064 lager, I'd lager it for 6-8 weeks or thereabouts.

So, yes, it commonly does take 3 months for a lager to be finished.

My one and only lager I brew is "Grandma's Favorite".

12# Wyermann pilsner malt
1# Munich 10L
8 oz carapils

1oz cascade @60m
1-2oz Czech saaz @15m
(Try to calc ~30ibu)

90 minute boil to drive off dms

Wyeast 2007, ferment @ 54F, lager @34F

It satisfies all my BMC family and friends, has a hell of a kick, and still has plenty of flavor for me.

I made jamils classic American pils from brew your own a few issues back. Even using steam yeast, without lagering,, it was great.

Back