How much tart cherry juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I want to make a tart cherry melomel, and am looking for a ball park of how much juice to add to secondary. Thought I would make a clover show mead that I ferment to about 1.020, and then add juice and ferment down to maybe 1.015.

Your thoughts?

I've always substituted my water with what ever juice I was using at the time.
Just add enough until you achieve the taste you desire.

Off topic- I have access to tart cherry concentrate, cost $60 a gallon, and would love to use this in a upcoming mead and in future brews. Has anyone ever used concentrate? If so, how much? and How much water do you dilute it with?

I want to make a tart cherry melomel, and am looking for a ball park of how much juice to add to secondary. Thought I would make a clover show mead that I ferment to about 1.020, and then add juice and ferment down to maybe 1.015.

Your thoughts?

I'd start with a quart in 6 gallons & go from there. Tart cherry juice is pretty tart, you don't want it to be too tart. It's easier to add more than to remove some. Regards, GF.

No directions. Got a bulk 5 gallon pail, split with friends. I'll mix to taste and go from there

Off topic- I have access to tart cherry concentrate, cost $60 a gallon, and would love to use this in a upcoming mead and in future brews. Has anyone ever used concentrate? If so, how much? and How much water do you dilute it with?

I've used tart cherry concentrate a few times. A gallon is A LOT of concentrate. I believe they are usually around 68 Brix, so a gallon is equivalent to something like 80 lbs of cherries. Amazon sells quarts of concentrate for about $20.

I add the concentrate directly. I wouldn't reconstitute it into juice. All that water just dilutes your batch. When adding pre-ferment, just stir it into your cider, mead, or whatever. Using it in secondary, you have to be a little more careful about oxygenation, so stir it in gently. You might want to mix it with a little water first to make mixing it in your batch easier, but I haven't felt the need. The cherry concentrates I've used are just a little thicker than apple juice concentrate.

I've used 16-32 oz of concentrate per 5 gallon batch, depending on how much flavor I wanted.

Thank-you sir! That definitely helps out and I will use your advice wisely. It is 68 brix concentrate

Just my personal taste, but I like to add a little vanilla when I use cherry.

I believe you have to keep the concentrate refrigerated.

Well since you mentioned it I was going to do a cherry vanilla mead. You have now confirmed my recipe idea, thank-you. Yes it does need to be refrigerated.

Your thoughts?

Are you using Knudsen Just Tart Cherry or something similar? I like the idea of starting with a quart, or so, in 5 gallons and adding to taste. You can always add more. Everybody's taste is different, but I'd guess you'll use at least a half gallon in a 5 gallon batch.

I'm a big fan of blending (don't know why..). But what I would do is make a straight tart cherry juice mead, as well as traditional. After fermentation, blend to taste.

Back