crud while boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I was wondering if anyone knew what the material was that usually accumulates on the inside of the boil kettle while boiling; that brown layer of gunk that usually contains some hops.

I have always scrapped it into the kettle thinking it was hop matter but im starting to think its not.

Thanks All

Hey Guys

I was wondering if anyone knew what the material was that usually accumulates on the inside of the boil kettle while boiling; that brown layer of gunk that usually contains some hops.

I have always scrapped it into the kettle thinking it was hop matter but im starting to think its not.

Thanks All

It usually has a ton of hot break material in it, and should stay on the pot and not in the wort.

Yooper said:
It usually has a ton of hot break material in it, and should stay on the pot and not in the wort.

I ve always scraped mine in too figuring there was a lot of sugar in it. What does it do to the beer?

Hey Guys

Thanks All

Protein. I did an all pilsner malt brew last week - there was a ton of that stuff and it looked just like the gunk that foams up on a steak when you cook it. I probably skimmed a qt. of it off with a spoon.

Back