Homemade beef jerky recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Saw an episode of Alton Browns 'Good Eats' where he made a fairly simple homemade recipe for beef jerky.

Looked great. I don't have a smokehouse though. I hear that you can sun dry it. As summer comes, I'd love to make a bunch of this for the winter.

Anyone else tried this? :fro:

A single guy eating smoked beef jery and drinking homebrew.

If you happpen on the pickled egg thread, you may create a "situation" that will make you essentially undateable.

Use caution.

Haha!

I have pickled eggs in the fridge. I used the red beets technique!

I love that color. I don't generally like eggs. So this is the best way to eat them for me. And I hate pickles or pickle juice, , yuk.

:rockin: Hehe! My girlfriend is still keeping in there!:rockin:

But then again I live by myself. lol. Maybe thats why!

I haven't done it in awhile but homeade jerky is pretty damn easy. The Little Chief might work out fine for you, but I'd recommend the next size up (Big Chief). Check the prices at Walmart/K-mart before buying online.

One problem with the "Chief" smokers is they are electric and will suffer on a windy/cool day.. But you can cover them with a heavy carboard box that is a bit larger than the smoker and it will do OK. I have a gas smoker, a lot more efficient, but probably a bit more spendy as well.

The popeel type jerky makers work well, I've had a couple of them over the years. I haven't made any jerky in a while, not since I used to get plenty of free venison.
Quick note - check your stove/oven owner's book -- our stove has a feature where you can set the oven really low for dehydrating and also came with aspecial magnetic dealy to prop the door open slightly...

2 cups soy sauce, 2 cups worchestire, 1/2 bottle liquid smoke, tobasco to taste, red pepper to taste, black pepper to taste, liberal amounts of montreal steak seasoning. Marinate venison/beef over night, dry in your regular oven on the lowest setting with the door cracked for about 12 hours. Since your single, you won't have anybody bitching about the wonderful aroma from the oven.

I make jerky by getting some air conditioner paper filters and laying the meat in them. Then I strap the filters to a box fan and blow air over the meat for about 10 hours. Comes out perfect!! No need for leaving the oven on for hours at a time or for buying a dehydrator.

you can also do the jerkey in a H2O smoker and about halfway through let the water run out in the smoker... $50 at Home Depot.

Easiest "Homemade" recipe (brine) for strips is 50/50 soy sauce and warchester sauce with abit of coke to tenderize the meat... with pepper, cyan and brown sugar to taste. I have make well over 100 batches of jerky. I have 5 batches in my fridge right now along with smoked cheese. You can make it so many ways looking up recipes is a losing battle.

Ground beef you can use a similar recipe but its hard to regulate, Best to get the mix stuff at wallmart, its under 10$ for 15 pounds ( plus it contains cure to make the ground beef safer for storage)

I wouldn't sun dry unless your proficient at smoking, you need to keep a constant temp around 160-170 degrees for it to be safe to eat (smokers all do this). Use your oven if you don't have one at 165-170 deg with the door propped open takes 1-4 hrs, smoker takes about 8. Make sure it stays open the entire time you you cook and ruin your jerky. Its done when u can bend it without breaking and you see white fibers in the meat.

A higher temperature will damage your meat and cause it to become a hamburger patty instead of jerky.

Also consider making a cardboard box smoker if you just want to try it once.

Easiest "Homemade" recipe (brine) for strips is 50/50 soy sauce and warchester sauce with abit of coke to tenderize the meat... with pepper, cyan and brown sugar to taste. I have make well over 100 batches of jerky. I have 5 batches in my fridge right now along with smoked cheese. You can make it so many ways looking up recipes is a losing battle.

Ground beef you can use a similar recipe but its hard to regulate, Best to get the mix stuff at wallmart, its under 10$ for 15 pounds ( plus it contains cure to make the ground beef safer for storage)

I wouldn't sun dry unless your proficient at smoking, you need to keep a constant temp around 160-170 degrees for it to be safe to eat (smokers all do this). Use your oven if you don't have one at 165-170 deg with the door propped open takes 1-4 hrs, smoker takes about 8. Make sure it stays open the entire time you you cook and ruin your jerky. Its done when u can bend it without breaking and you see white fibers in the meat.

A higher temperature will damage your meat and cause it to become a hamburger patty instead of jerky.

Also consider making a cardboard box smoker if you just want to try it once.

Thread resurrection at its finest!

Well done!

Cheers
Jay

I used to use Grandma Lamur's jerky seasoning mix with hamburger meat in an oven we had in a rental house that could get down to the 100F the recipe required to cure it. So y'all say 170 is the temp being used now? My current oven will only get down to 170F anyway? I used to make jerky & corn dodgers to take deer hunting with me. While others went back to the truck for lunch,I'd be proped up in the woods.along a ridge,whatever munching jerky & corn dodgers. Now if I just hadn't lost the recipe for the corn dodgers in a move or two...

Back