Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hops2it

Reaction score
So I'm fortunate to live in the midwest where we have poured basements. My brewroom is pretty much always somewhere in the 60's year round because my ductwork also runs through it so I can apply a little a/c or even heat if desired depending on season. I do have the desire however to get a fridge dedicated to homebrewing if for no other reason than to cold crash & lager.

My question is this...since by default, I have a room that maintains a near ideal temp for many beers/yeasts, should I just get the fridge and use the internal controls to adjust temp for my needs or should I go the whole Johnson Controls temp controller route? I'd rather not do the latter since I'm probably going to end up just buying a new, no frills fridge but if there are some significant reasons to go forward with modding the fridge, I'm not ruling it out either.

Thanks for any input.

How cold do you anticipate crashing and lagering? Many fridges can't go much under 40*, or if they can, they'll struggle to get there. For the best clarity you'll want to cold crash to near freezing. I don't think the fridge's thermostat will be up to the task. But, you could buy the fridge and try using it without the controller, and add a controller later if necessary.

Get a fridge with a digital control panel. Our GE does. somebody re-programmed it down to 34,things were freezing in ice in the fridge! I had to reset it back to 38 or so. It'll def do it.

unionrdr said:
Get a fridge with a digital control panel. Our GE does. somebody re-programmed it down to 34,things were freezing in ice in the fridge! I had to reset it back to 38 or so. It'll def do it.

How did you reprogram the control panel
I want to make my wine fridge run colder
Very interested!

A controller gives you more versatility and precision. You can set it in the 50 degree area for fermenting a lager, and then down to 34 to condition the lager.

Find a recent model used fridge on craigslist for a hundred or two and put the rest of the money you would have spent on a new fridge towards a controller.

It's much cheaper to go the chest freezer/johnson controller route IMO.

You can get a freezer large enough to fit a couple carboys for around 200 bucks new.

This is a newer model GE fridge we got some 2 years ago. It has the control panel with LED read out on the front of the freezer door. You can program the freezer/fridge separately. It also has turbo cool,& other basic controls. This thing works really well. Now if I cold get the same model without the freezer...

There are chest freezers on craigslist around here for about $40 (small ones, perfect for 1 or 2 carboys).

Pair that with the Ebay temp controller and you are looking at awesome temp control for about $70.

...oh, you'll probably want some damp rid if it's a chest freezer...

How cold do you anticipate crashing and lagering? Many fridges can't go much under 40*, or if they can, they'll struggle to get there. But, you could buy the fridge and try using it without the controller, and add a controller later if necessary.

I don't know if I agree with that. I can get my 20 year old Kenmore fridge to freeze stuff just by adjusting the thermostat a little.

i have frozen the beer in my lines in my keg frige before...need to put a thermometer in it and test how low it can go before you buy a controller. however i would go with a sam's club $200 mini deep freeze if you are going to buy new

It's much cheaper to go the chest freezer/johnson controller route IMO.

You can get a freezer large enough to fit a couple carboys for around 200 bucks new.

+1

I would even suggest used. There are tons of used chest freezers out there for dirt cheap. You can likely do a used chest freezer plus Johnson temp controller for $200 or less.

I guess I was under the impression you guys used fridges. I already have an upright Frigidaire commercial freezer I don't use very much. Should I mod that instead?

If I were to use the freezer, how does the Johnson Controls digital controller work? (the one from Northern Brewer). Looks like you just plug the freezer into it and go. Do you have to bypass the freezer's onboard controller then?

I don't know if I agree with that. I can get my 20 year old Kenmore fridge to freeze stuff just by adjusting the thermostat a little.

My problem is the opposite. The highest my fridge will go (without a controller) is in the low 40s. Since I want to ferment lagers at 50 degrees, and ales at 62 degrees, a fridge without a controller won't work for me. Lagering is fine, as my fridge easily gets to 34 degrees.

Ok so I talked the the owner of the LHBS and he mentioned if I'm going to be running temps in the 50's and 60's much to get a fridge. He thought the freezer would cycle too much and shorten the life of the compressor. Anyone agree?

This kind of sucks because I want the option to use it for fermentation but also, and perhaps moreso, for layering and cold crashing. Surely some folks here have some thoughts on this?

Ok so I talked the the owner of the LHBS and he mentioned if I'm going to be running temps in the 50's and 60's much to get a fridge. He thought the freezer would cycle too much and shorten the life of the compressor. Anyone agree?

This kind of sucks because I want the option to use it for fermentation but also, and perhaps moreso, for layering and cold crashing. Surely some folks here have some thoughts on this?

My fridge easily lagers (I lager at 34 degrees) and cold crashes. You want to be above freezing at all times, no matter which you choose!

My freezer kicks on maybe twice a day set at 60*. I doubt that's cycling on and off too much.

Agreed; mine doesn't run very much. Now, he's talking about using an upright which will lose cold air (I believe) much more quickly when it's opened than a chest freezer.

Hops2it, if you have a spare freezer I wouldn't hesitate to use it, even an upright. They're cheaply replaceable.

I like the plan. Since its a freezer, should I turn the internal control down to minimum? Seems like then it would maximize runtime and maybe ease the temp into the setpoint?

Also, anybody know if the Ranco or Johnson Controls models used by most brewers are similar quality wise?

Now, he's talking about using an upright which will lose cold air (I believe) much more quickly when it's opened than a chest freezer.

Here's a little trick I use: keep the door closed most of the time. Very little cold lost.

The only problem with a commercial upright freezer may be the shelves. Do the shelves have coolant lines running through them or can they be removed to make space for fermenters?

Most have coolant lines in the shelves.

The only problem with a commercial upright freezer may be the shelves. Do the shelves have coolant lines running through them or can they be removed to make space for fermenters?

Most have coolant lines in the shelves.

Well that would suck. I'll check when I get home.

@mlg5039,
Looks like I got lucky, racks are removable. :ban:

I know you're right though b/c I was just talking to another person who, unprompted, said the same thing so thanks for the tip.

How cold do you anticipate crashing and lagering? Many fridges can't go much under 40*, or if they can, they'll struggle to get there. For the best clarity you'll want to cold crash to near freezing. I don't think the fridge's thermostat will be up to the task. But, you could buy the fridge and try using it without the controller, and add a controller later if necessary.

I have a small apt fridg w/NO freezer compartment to waste space. I've frozen bottles of beer in it, so I guess I could lager too!

i have frozen the beer in my lines in my keg frige before...need to put a thermometer in it and test how low it can go before you buy a controller. however i would go with a sam's club $200 mini deep freeze if you are going to buy new

That's the one I'm looking at. $217 here in Hawai`i.

If I were to use the freezer, how does the Johnson Controls digital controller work? (the one from Northern Brewer). Looks like you just plug the freezer into it and go. Do you have to bypass the freezer's onboard controller then?

No you set the fridge/freezer to it's coldest setting and plug it into the controller. The controller has a probe which you hang in the freezer and it turns the freezer off and on as needed. Mostly off if it is well insulated.

Agreed; mine doesn't run very much. Now, he's talking about using an upright which will lose cold air (I believe) much more quickly when it's opened than a chest freezer.

Hops2it, if you have a spare freezer I wouldn't hesitate to use it, even an upright. They're cheaply replaceable.

I wonder if you can turn an upright freezer on its back and use it like a chest freezer????????????????????

C-Rider said:
I wonder if you can turn an upright freezer on its back and use it like a chest freezer????????????????????

if you want to break your freezer that would be a best idea. You never want to lay a freezer/fridge on it's back or side.

Made the decision I'm going to get a controller and try the upright. If it doesn't work, I'll sell it and use the proceeds to buy a Craigslist chest freezer. They're a dime a dozen on there.

Made the decision I'm going to get a controller and try the upright. If it doesn't work, I'll sell it and use the proceeds to buy a Craigslist chest freezer. They're a dime a dozen on there.

I'm to afraid that a freezer from Craigs list might not last long, that's why they are selling it.

Back