Pipeline backed up...in more ways than one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rico567

Reaction score
Here I am, in full Spring Brewing mode, three batches of beer in the fermenters, brewed a week apart, and the youngest one is at three weeks. This was last Saturday, and our septic line plugs up. Finally get someone out here to pump the tank and roto-root the line....and, nothing. The line is still plugged up, and it'll be around two weeks before our service can lay a new line to the tank. Now I need to devise a way to start bottling this beer that doesn't involve putting water down the drain....

1. Since my bottles are rinsed before storing, just sanitizing with Star San via the vinator.

2. Clean everything outside using the hose and cold water.

3. Cross my fingers.

So your oldest batch would be at 5 weeks? I would just wait until that new line was dropped to bottle anything. That or find a buddy that will let you bottle at his place?

Yeah, this has occurred to me. I've read posts here by people who said they had beer in the primary for several months before bottling, with not ill effects. But I'd rather not.

I have personally left one on the cake for 2 months and it was fine. If you are not comfortable with that, then I suggest talking to a few of your friends and convincing one to let you bottle there. Bribe them with some of the beers if you have to. I just bottled a batch last night and thinking it over, stuff going down the drain was quite frequent. I wouldn't want to try and brew, bottle or anything else beerish without a drain available.

I think I'm going to just wait. Moving a bucket somewhere else to bottle doesn't seem like it would be conducive to keeping the sediment in place, and racking, then moving seems perilous from the standpoint of sanitation. Besides, I'm trying to get the process of this new septic line expedited......

Yeah, I would just wait as well if it's something that'll be done in a couple more weeks. If nothing else, just rack the 5 week old to secondary if you're worried. Use the hose for cleaning if need by, then a spray bottle of starsan for sanitizing everything.

I've noticed when I dump my yeast down the bathtub drain, it seems to drain better afterward. Maybe dumping your yeast down the drain will solve your back up problem! ;)

B/c of some things that went down. I ended up with 2 beers that sat for about a year before i kegged and force carbonated. Ended up being amazing beers!

But i think that you should be able to bottle outside or in your garage. Just set up a clean folding table, heat up some water in your kettle so u have hot water and do it! let any run off go into your yard

I've noticed when I dump my yeast down the bathtub drain, it seems to drain better afterward. Maybe dumping your yeast down the drain will solve your back up problem! ;)

Oh, yes, it's pretty much established that yeast is just as good for septic systems as some commercial product like Rid-X. My problem can't be solved from the inside, however, only by digging up and replacing the line. The pipe is a type called "Orangeburg," name after the town in NY where it was made. It's made of wood pulp and pitch, and is very durable, as long as it's on a stable base and isn't disturbed. But over time, it tends to compress in spots, becoming egg-shaped, and eventually collapsing altogether. The web site says it has a life expectancy of around 50 years, and this stuff is well over that, I think.

Back