A Comedy of Errors...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I needed a break from the Lobuck competition and was somewhat aggitated about family type things. My girlfriend wants to spend time with me, but I can't because my alma mater is playing in a bowl game and I happen to have my priorities straight. I also have a 17 year old cousin living with me for the week because his father says he's a handful (but, in my experience, he's a great kid.. and I *know* the father's a ****tard). I haven't been sleeping well, been having messed up dreams lately. I woke up at 7am and the weather was nice. I decided today was the day to test my ESB recipe. And I decided my cousin should help and actually learn something about science rather than sit on his ass in front of the computer.

First of all... how to start a propane turkey fryer. Hey! That wasn't too hard. Cool. Then.. .damn. It went out. Relight.

Steeping the specialtry grains in three gallons of water. The 10L Crystal smelled slightly astringent and slightly bitter. Smelled pretty good. The temp was around 150. THen is started to climb toward 170. Meh. That's ok. It sat around 170 and I started to notice the smell going from bitter and grain-like to being really "bread-like". Hrmm.. I wonder if that's normal...

Then I brought it to a boil and looked at my thermometer. It read 200. Apparently, my 170 was probably actually 180 and that's why the crystal aroma went "soft".... I was leaching tannins out. Damn.

So I bring it to a boil, take it off the heat, add the LME (6lbs) and DME (3lbs). Add the 3/4oz of Target @60. Add 1oz Wilamette @ 30; get ready to add the ounce of whole Cascade... and realize I forgot to add the other 3 gallons of water. Wow do I feel dumb. So I left out the 3/4ths of the cascade that I hadn't tossed in yet and made a hop tea with a 2 minute boil and I added that. Hopefully that will help give me some hoppy aroma.

Starting to cool the wort... my homemade wort chiller didn't quite connect to the faucet, so I sat there, watching the wort cool for 25 minutes as water squirted across the kitchen. Eh.. just get some rags. It's ok. That stream shooting into the other room is just going to be there for another 20 minutes or so...

Then I siphon to the primary. Damnit. I don't have a siphon tube long enough or straight enough. I broke my racking cane while sanitizing it. So I wash my hands and arms and stick it into the wort to hold the flexible nylon tube down to the bottom and of course I'm sucking up whole hops left and right and I've seen 100 year olds that piss faster than that tube was going with hops stuck up inside it. I had to stop the siphon and restart it probably a dozen times to clear the hops. I gagged on some wort too, of course, when it came out of the tube faster than I was expecting. Now I know how my girlfriend feels.

But I got the aeration pump going and it seems to have worked pretty good. There's an inch of foam on top of the beer. It looks like krausen, but of course, there's no activity in the airlock yet.. I only pitched the yeast about an hour and a half ago.

My OG was 1.74 because I didn't add enough water, so I threw in another gallon to bring it down to 1.052 or so.

Wow! What a sticky mess of sugary water I made!

It tasted pretty good though. Very sweet and some good bitterness. I can't wait for the sweetness to ferment out. The recipe may be a winner.. but boy is it ever dark! Have to be more careful with the water next time.

So what's the verdict on using boiling water and doing your hops in that and then adding it to the wort later to increase utilization?

You have probably just made the best beer of your brewing career!!! Now, can you repeat it again?;)

What are you going to call it. FUP Ale?

I was thinking...

Extra ScrewedUp Brew

I hit the style pretty close. 44.9 IBU's; 1.052 OG (probably should've added slightly less water). Target, Willamette, and Cascade. Ok, so the cascade is a little un-authentic. But otherwise, it's not bad.

If you really want to understand priorities, get a copy of "A Boy and His Dog" & watch it.

It's amazing how much can go wrong & it's still beer.

LMAO that's great! As I sit here drinking a pint of my own HB, just reading that had me rolling. :)

Better luck next time.

Last night, my girlfriend stopped by to take me to her place for New Years (I am presently car-less due to the accident) and when she came in, I decided to siphon off some of my 2-day old brew just to let her try.

Well, its definitly coming along. But theres definitely some esters or other "soft" off flavors that shouldnt be there. I am guessing its mostly due to the excess heat on the specialty grains. There could also be some contamination from my procedures but I view that as unlikely.

At this stage, the flavors remind me of a belgian- very yeasty and estery. I think I can even taste some banana or clove flavors. But I am betting some of that may just be in the trub and particulates that are still in suspension and I hope a lot of that will settle out once fermentation is done.

So thats the update.

After only two days, there is so much yeast kicking around in suspension that the flavor isn't going to be anything like the final result. I'm sure it'll work out over the next few weeks.

Torchiest said:
After only two days, there is so much yeast kicking around in suspension that the flavor isn't going to be anything like the final result. I'm sure it'll work out over the next few weeks.

But it's still fun to taste test, isn't it? :)

I only expect it to get better over time and I have no doubt that there's some funkiness that's going to work its way out of suspension over time, but isn't it reassuring to know that it is borderline drinkable after only two days. :)

What yeast did you use? If it's an ESB strain, be careful, as they tend to just drop out and quit working. They'll definitely benefit from an occaisonal rousing.

As an aside, I'm probably one of the few brewers that really doesn't like tasting during fermentation. First, there are so many funky flavors that crop up that it makes me paranoid. Second, I'm lazy. :D I usually give mine a test when racking to secondary, and another at bottling/kegging.

SwAMi75 said:
What yeast did you use? If it's an ESB strain, be careful, as they tend to just drop out and quit working. They'll definitely benefit from an occaisonal rousing.

As an aside, I'm probably one of the few brewers that really doesn't like tasting during fermentation. First, there are so many funky flavors that crop up that it makes me paranoid. Second, I'm lazy. :D I usually give mine a test when racking to secondary, and another at bottling/kegging.

I used White Labs' London Ale yeast. Yes, I wish I could've gotten my hands on some Wyeast ESB yeast because I love that bit of complex residual sweetness, but I had to make do... No biggie.

Personally, I dig the funky flavors. This is my first homebrew, but I actually like the taste of yeast and stuff. For me, at this point in my brewing career, it's educational. :tank:

First off, I apologize for my behaviour the past few days. Between a wrecked sports car, an IRS audit, a broken(?) finger without health insurance, and a lousy new year, and a 60% paycut to get back into the workforce... well... it's just been one of those weeks, I suppose... and when I start to get tired, I get cranky. I've been tweaking the lobuck rules. Should have them ready tomorrow. And I could really use a homebrew. So....

I took a reading and a sample. I'm down to 1.018 in 5 days. That's 4.35%ABV and it's still bubbling. There's a lot of trub though. I mean, a LOT... so I'm really looking forward to racking off. (I gotta add that to the "things that sound dirty" thread...)

Then I tasted it... As a beer drinker, I must say it was AWESOME. Just plain awesome and very much in the style of an American ESB. But now... as a critic who samples a lot of beer, being more objective, here are my thoughts...

Hrmmm... how to describe it... The initial bitterness is not "citrusy" enough. It has a really spicy bite. I used Target (.75oz of 10%AA) as my bittering hop. Then, the finish, has a bit too much citrus and the aroma is definitely too citrusy and not quite bitter enough. I used an ounce of Cascade as my aroma hop. I should've stuck with something more true to the style (maybe Fuggles or Kent Goldings. Anybody have an opinion on which is better?). At 30 minutes, I used an ounce of Willamette and I think that was exactly right. I'm really surprised by how grapefruity the Cascade smells.

Then again, I still have some residual sugar left in there. Maybe as it ferments away, the "grapefruity-ness" will become less pronounced.

But overall, it's drinkable, but man does my siphon technique need work. Lots of trub.

SwAMi75 said:
I'm the same way. Taste it on boil day, taste it at racking, taste is at bottle/kegging. Everything else takes away from naptime.

Fiery Sword said:
I'm the same way. Taste it on boil day, taste it at racking, taste is at bottle/kegging. Everything else takes away from naptime.

Meh... Who knows... maybe the novelty will wear off for me at some point. :mug:

Or....... maybe I just wanted an excuse to have a little "nip" at 11:30 in the morning. ;)

Toot said:
First off, I apologize for my behaviour the past few days. Between a wrecked sports car, an IRS audit, a broken(?) finger without health insurance, and a lousy new year, and a 60% paycut to get back into the workforce... well... it's just been one of those weeks, I suppose... and when I start to get tired, I get cranky. I've been tweaking the lobuck rules. Should have them ready tomorrow. And I could really use a homebrew. So....

I took a reading and a sample. I'm down to 1.018 in 5 days. That's 4.35%ABV and it's still bubbling. There's a lot of trub though. I mean, a LOT... so I'm really looking forward to racking off. (I gotta add that to the "things that sound dirty" thread...)

Then I tasted it... As a beer drinker, I must say it was AWESOME. Just plain awesome and very much in the style of an American ESB. But now... as a critic who samples a lot of beer, being more objective, here are my thoughts...

Hrmmm... how to describe it... The initial bitterness is not "citrusy" enough. It has a really spicy bite. I used Target (.75oz of 10%AA) as my bittering hop. Then, the finish, has a bit too much citrus and the aroma is definitely too citrusy and not quite bitter enough. I used an ounce of Cascade as my aroma hop. I should've stuck with something more true to the style (maybe Fuggles or Kent Goldings. Anybody have an opinion on which is better?). At 30 minutes, I used an ounce of Willamette and I think that was exactly right. I'm really surprised by how grapefruity the Cascade smells.

Then again, I still have some residual sugar left in there. Maybe as it ferments away, the "grapefruity-ness" will become less pronounced.

But overall, it's drinkable, but man does my siphon technique need work. Lots of trub.

Wow- it sounds pretty good. I'm not real good with hops advice- but first, I believe that the grapefuity-ness will mellow after bottling and aging. Target is a fine bittering hop, but next time if you want a citrusy bitterness, try a hope like Centennial. It's not as harsh (to me) as say, chinook, and it should leave a little of that citrusy bitterness you'll looking for. In my ESBs, I've used Tettnanger and Willamette together for bittering, and I've used Fuggle (again, for bittering), all with excellent results. Of course, they are not citrus-y, so that may not be what you are looking for.

On the other hand, you seem to not want the citrus-y ness in the aroma/finishing. In my case, I've used Kent Golding in the past and Tettnanger also for aroma/finishing. I personally think those are perfect for the ESB style (although perhaps more traditionally British?).

Lots of trub is no problem- except you might only have 4 1/2 gallons of beer when you're done! That almost makes me cry to think about it.

Still, I think that you'll be amazed at the difference after 3 weeks in the bottle. This could really be an amazingly well balanced, good tasting beer.

Lorena

PS- It takes a big man to apologize. I now have the utmost respect for you. I'm glad you're here to share your knowledge with us.

Thanks, Lorena.

I'm shooting for an "Americanized" ESB. That means it should have a bit more malt character and residual sweetness, almost fruit-like. The American ESB's I've really liked were sort of a cross between an IPA (the bitterness), a belgian (the complex malt character, but not too much...), and a hefe (the slight citrusy taste).

I want some citrus notes throughout, but I don't want it over-powering at any stage. Right now, the initial taste was not citrusy enough and the aftertaste was too citrusy. The sweetness was borderline too sweet, but there's still fermentation to be done, so I can't say for sure. I guess it's the "hop balance" that seems a tad out of whack.

Again, as a beer drinker, I wouldn't complain one bit... just as an anal-retentive recipe junky, I think it can be improved.

Of course, this is all speculation. We'll see how things are in a few more weeks. Just thought I'd share my excitement. :)

Toot said:
Thanks, Lorena.

The sweetness was borderline too sweet, but there's still fermentation to be done, so I can't say for sure. :)

I'm in the midst of an ESB orgy myself. Years ago I was on the road and had a fresh Fullers ESB on Tap in a bar in Milwaukee and it was love at first taste (by the way not to be confused with Fullers ESB in the bottle which is great but doesn't touch the fresh stuff on tap). Anyway, I think my latest attempt tends to be just a little wee bit too much on the side of residual sweetness after a week or so which I think will mellow out as the stuff conditions. Way too early I know.

treehouse said:
I'm in the midst of an ESB orgy myself. Years ago I was on the road and had a fresh Fullers ESB on Tap in a bar in Milwaukee and it was love at first taste (by the way not to be confused with Fullers ESB in the bottle which is great but doesn't touch the fresh stuff on tap). Anyway, I think my latest attempt tends to be just a little wee bit too much on the side of residual sweetness after a week or so which I think will mellow out as the stuff conditions. Way too early I know.

ESB's are just an awesome beer. Bitterness of an IPA, maltiness like a Bavarian Ale, and citrus notes of a Hefe. Yum!!!!

Toot said:
ESB's are just an awesome beer. Bitterness of an IPA, maltiness like a Bavarian Ale, and citrus notes of a Hefe. Yum!!!!

I agree Toot. Perhaps the perfect swill when it all those flavors coming together in one perfect beer experience. It's all about balance, but reproducing a good one in the homebrew environment could be a life-long pursuit. I suppose a person could spend their live's on other, more productive pursuits (such as working), but would it be half as much fun? I always come up a little bit short on my meager efforts which just eggs me on. Maybe next time! ESB's humble me. I am not worthy...Doesn't stop me from try'in however. Nor does it stop me from drinking my efforts no matter if they fall somewhat short of that memorable fresh Fuller's ESB on tap. Onward! There is always the next batch...

My ESB carbed in 5 days. WTF??!!!! It's got a HUGE frothy head that nearly overflows a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle with a modest pour. 3 days ago, there was nothing but a little "pfft" and some flat beer. Today, the head is enormous!!!

I was storing them in the basement, probably a touch over 75 degrees. FG was 1.17, IIRC. It had been in secondary for over 3 weeks. It was DONE fermenting.

Am I going to have problems with all this carbonation? I'm guessing I need to get it into the refrigerator stat, eh?'

The only thing I did do was give each of them a very vigorous shake on day 3. Do you think that's what did it?

Here's something weird. I tasted two bottles of beer. One from near the water heater, and one from farther away. The nearer one had twice the carbonation and tasted a lot better than the one that was farther away. Apparently, the extra couple of degrees REALLY mellowed out the flavor and turned the beer into something great.

I am quite impressed by my first attempt. I must confess that the sample I tasted when bottling left me somewhat concerned. The flavors were all peaky, not well integrated. You'd get a big noseful of hops and a huge mouthful of malt and then going down, you'd get alternating tastes. It was quite disappointing. But now, with a little more time, the flavors are integrating nicely and, I'm excited to say, I'm a lot closer to my target than I thought I would be. The hoppy bitterness is right freakin there... exacly what I was shooting for. I just need a little more maltiness and a hint more mouthfeel to achieve perfection.

Back