Secondary Fermenter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finny13

Reaction score
Hey guys,

On my second batch of beer so this is the first time I transferred from a primary to a secondary fermenter.

My question is a sanitation question. I sanitized with one step and dumped everything out. I was a little weary about putting something back into my ferementer to completely dry it off (cloth, paper towel) because I was afraid of getting something bad in my just sanitized bucket. I let it drip dry for a while but there was still some water droplets left over from when I dumped the sanitized solution out. I then transferred my beer from the primary to the secondary. I haven't looked at my beer but my paranoia kicked in got me thinking, could this have contaminated my beer? Being a newbie I wouldn't even know if my beer was contaminated even if I popped the lid and looked at it.I haven't found another thread on here like this so this is why I'm asking.

Thoughts?

phew! So I'm assuming this would be okay to do with siphoning tubes too. They're such a pain to get dry. I'm assuming it wouldn't be bad to sanitize then kinda swirl it around over your head ( heard that helps getting some of the water out) then using the siphoning tube?

I use Star-san one step sanitizer. I never rinse and rack right onto the foam. A popular theme on here is "never fear the foam". My understanding is it kills the badies by lowering the ph....It won't kill you.

Back