Mash Temp vs. yeast vs. different malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
OK, so I am going to do an IPA that many felt was a little thin. The recipe used the typical US-05/1056/WLP001 California yeast, and was mashed at 150F. So some want to change to British or other "fruity" or less attenuating yeast, some would just mash higher, and some would play around with grains.

This got me realizing I really don't have a good feel for each and what it does to the end product.

So what do all of you do to counteract a too dry recipe? Different yeast, higher mash, or do you play with the grain bill?

Mash higher if you want to change the body but not alter the flavor. Around 154 degrees should add a little more body.

Add malt if it's lacking in malt backbone.

I wouldn't change the yeast

Mash higher if you want to change the body but not alter the flavor. Around 154 degrees should add a little more body.

What is the difference in that vs. adding a little Dextrine/Carapils? Are we talking similar "body" changes? (I'm assuming reducing other malts for the same overall O.G.)

What is the difference in that vs. adding a little Dextrine/Carapils? Are we talking similar "body" changes? (I'm assuming reducing other malts for the same overall O.G.)

Carapils should have a similar effect on the body as mashing high since it is adding unfermentables. If I were to use Carapils I would just add it on top of the recipe rather than sub it in.

I know you didn't ask, but you could also cut back on your bittering hops. This could add a bit more malt character (backbone) to the brew.

I know you didn't ask, but you could also cut back on your bittering hops. This could add a bit more malt character (backbone) to the brew.

Being a hophead, that's probably not gonna happen:fro:!

But I'm considering a wee bit more crystal, and/or toast to bring it around. Seems like some of the really pale end of the spectrum of IPAs don't always support the hops as well, IMHO. But I was wanting to try making a lighter one and wondering what gets it right!

Certain highly hopped light colored California IPAs seem not to have that mouth puckering, tongue drying thing, possibly because of boatloads of aroma hops changing the whole lupilin' landscape. But I also wonder what else may be going on. Thus the malt vs. yeast vs. mash temp question.

Latest posts

Back