Ok My Pot Is Here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Reaction score
I ordered a 12 gal pot for my 5 gal batches. My question is, the pot is about 12 inches deep and 18 inches wide.
This means it'll only be around 6 inches at 5 gallons. Is this so shallow to cause problems, or am i AOK... Its a beautiful stainless pot and lid with layered bottom. I found them on ebay around $87.50 brand new. thanks skip...

Sounds like 10 gallon batches are in your future....

It will work OK as long as you can boil it well!

You'll get more boiloff from the increased surface area, but that's about it.

So want to do full boil.... If only I could find a pot that nice so cheap....

I dont know how to link to the site, but this will get you there i think.
Go to Ebay.com and search "48 qt stainless steel stock pot homebrew pot".
Sorry it took me so long to get back with this, ive been outta town. My pot looks wonderful.

Oh yeah the seller for this pot is"pishlo123",good luck getting one, it appears he has another maybe lots for $87.95. Thanks for the input fellers, slowly gathering my stuff for the all grain.

You may want to test your boil off rate before your first brew. With that much surface area it will be high.

Oops! Kilgore beat me.

Sounds like 10 gallon batches are in your future....

It will work OK as long as you can boil it well!

You'll get more boiloff from the increased surface area, but that's about it.

You got that right that 18" diameter has 254 sq/in surface area, a 12" cut top keggle 113 sq/in area, a 10" cut top keggle at 78.5 sq/in area.
A 10" to 18" 3.24 times in area increase, 12" to 18" 2.25 times in area increase. Wind, air temps, humidity plus boil time 60 or 90 minutes plus how strong of a rolling boil your boil losses may vary by a large amount. YMMV as they say. Time for a boil test with water, not exactly the same as with a wort boil. This brings up another question, respect to the original posted thread i'll start my own thread almost parallel to this topic.

Back