Moving primary or secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie3

Reaction score
I am just wondering about moving things around.....I will more than likely be moving my primary to the basement when I get my first batch going. I think I will have a more constant temp down there. Low to mid sixties. I am concerned about when I have to move it back upstairs to the kitchen for bottling or possible secondary (I haven't decided about a secondary yet).....Should I let it sit for an extra day or so after I bring it back upstairs to let things settle out?? I figured this is what I would do. Any suggestions??

I let it sit for however long it takes me to get priming sugar ready and stuff setup for bottling typically 20-40mins. Everything seems to settle down in that amount of time. So you can bring it upstairs and let it sit for a day it won't hurt it but what ever works best for you.

Just rack and bottle in the basement. You don't "need" a kitchen for those. You might want to clean the basement some, but this will give you either self-satisfaction, or a happier spouse, or both. I suggest painting the brewing area a gloss white - easier to be sure it's clean.
<edit>
Or rack to bottling bucket while in basement, leaving sediment behind, and then carry bottling bucket upstairs to kitchen.

I'm wondering about this too and hoping that someone will chime in with the answer.

My guess - most of the trub and sediment will be heavy enough to stay towards the bottom of the bucket while moving it. That's assuming you carry it carefully and don't give it a reason to stir it up. But maybe it's more sensitive than I think.

I also wonder about how this effects bottles. If the bottles have settled out and I chill them, then carry over to a friends house, do I need to let them settle again? If so, how long should they sit to insure that most of the sediment can be left in the bottom of the bottle?

I wasn't trying to hijack your thread, but it seemed enough like a similar question that I didn't want to make a new topic.

Yeah I will just be real gentle carrying the primary upstairs then let it rest a bit. I cant really bottle or anything downstairs because the basement is finished and my wife would KILL me:mad:

carry a few hours in advance. Experience has taught me that however gentile i am sh*t always gets kicked up. Give it an hour to settle just to be safe.

It's only the secondary anyway. A little of the good stuff in the secondary is not going to hurt any. This is not the same as racking to your bottling bucket, which you do need to do as cleanly as possible.

I ferment and age downstairs. I can keep a more constant temp down there. But when it comes time to transfer or bottle, I cart those b*itches back up the stairs... I tend to be in agreement with the advice already given.

I usually wait about as long as it takes me to get everything set up and ready to go. There hasn't been a problem yet. Just be careful. I helped a friend a few weeks ago... Well tried to. He slipped coming up the stairs and BOOM! Carboy exploded under him and beer ran down the stairs like a tiny little river.

I wish I had a picture of his face when it happened and his wife's face when we told her. I thought she was going to kill us both where we stood. Luckily we both are alive to brew another day.

Back