Racked to soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
I brewed a California Common over Thanksgiving weekend. It was my second batch (and the first full boil). I clearly learned A LOT while doing my first batch, as this one went much more smoothly, and I feel it's going to be a much better beer as well.

Here's the scoop. I let the primary fermentation go for a little over a week. It had slowed way down to the point that the airlock was bubbling once or twice a minute. I racked to my secondary (which went according to plan), and left very little head space. Now, two days later, I've got a small layer of foam on top of the beer in my secondary. I know the main reason for racking is to get your beer off the trub layer at the bottom, which I did.

But:
Did I rack a little too soon? Or am I just being paranoid?

Paranoid! It will be fine...... unless that foam is the "canadian beer death foaming pond scum" If it is whiteish you have a 97% chance that your brew will become acidic to the point that it will eat through your carboy. Oh! sorry, I forgot that you were already paranoid. It will be fine.....(I hope!)

I wouldn't have racked it if I still had airlock activity, but your brew will be fine. Stop being paranoid.

Yes, you racked too soon.

No, it won't damage the beer. Just slow down the finish.

So, you didn't use a hydrometer, and just hoped that the airlock wasn't lying to you?

you probably did rack a little early. use a hydrometer, so you know that your fermentation is complete.
granted, you can 'get a feel' for when fermentation is done, but its still an educated guess, versus a scientific measurement.

Back