Cold crashing/ bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheadie

Reaction score
Hi I have been hearing about cold crashing a brew in a fridge for a few days to lower temp so that that it sends all dormant dead yeast to the bottom of the fermenter. I bottle condition my beers with a sugar solution for carbonation.

My question is can you crash cool and then bottle condition? or is it just for kegging? will there be enough yeast left in the beer to vonvert the sugar solution into carbonation? the last thing I want is to spend time and money on a brew and sweeten it becauce all the yeast has gone.

Advise is always welcome

Thanks in advance

Hopheadie

+1

Yes. That's the way I normally do it. Two days in the fridge followed by two weeks in the bottle. It makes for a nice clear product with very minimal sedimentation in the bottle.

I usually cold crash a bit longer than some folks (35*F for 5-7 days), prime and bottle it cold. There's still plenty of yeast present to bottle carbonate/condition just fine so long as you give it the time needed at room temp followed by 3+ days in the fridge.

If you have the setup to do it, there's no reason not to. It helps to clear the beer, firm up the yeast trub layer in the fermenter (making it harder to disturb) and results in a smaller amount to yeast in the bottom of each bottle.

Back