New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like belma a lot. I think people were expecting the next citra/simcoe but it is not that kind of hop. It adds a spicy note when used mid boil, a berry note when used as aroma, and a nice creaminess when used as a dry hop. None of those things are bad, but they aren't going to make it a great stand alone hop either. YMMV

Agreed. I went in open to the hop, and came out a bit.. lackluster.

It's a good smoother bittering hop, it does add a spicy berry note, and it does leave a full creamy feel when I dry hop with it. Obviously it can't stand up to some bigger hops, so the flavor gets tossed to the back seat.

I'll be using me late in the boil with other hops for blondes and fruity IPA's. I've used it in a Saison that came out really well too, and find that it shines in the lighter more sessionable beers where you want to layer the flavor.

Kolsch I made came out great, very smooth hop. Am going to make a SMASH with MArris Otter.

I made an APA with a pound of belma. Very disappointed in the results as it really lacks the hop character I was after. However the same beer with a pound of legacy turned out great

After using it in an Amber, an IPA, and a Cream Ale, and reading everyone elses uses, I'd say lighter session beers are where Belma Shines. ANd Bittering additions. In a Cream Ale with a nearly distilled water profile you could really taste the strawberry flavors. In an IPA, it's pretty meh.

Thanks for the responses. I'm moving from extract to BIAB but I still have some extract on hand. Thinking about doing a honey blond with it.
6# NB Pilsner LME
1# Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
1# honey (10 mins)

.25 oz Chinook 13AA at 60
1 oz Belma 9.8AA at 5
1 oz Belma 9.8AA at 1

Either US-05 or I have a Wyeast American Wheat I need to use.

Seems like a decent way to empty out the extract I have left and check out Belma.

I think I already posted on this thread, but I was looking at my recipe for my single hop IPA that I did with belma and now drinking it...
Its fine for bittering, sucks for aroma. But I think where this one shines is for flavor additions. It has a really unique berry flavor, but in my beer its just so subtle because for this IPA recipe I just didn't do enough flavor additions. But I would love to try an APA with a "flavor bomb" addition with this hop. I'm sure it would be very unique, fruity and tasty.

This is my second round with this hop and I have to say it grows on you. The melon bitterness with the berry side note just makes a perfect summer beer. Once I can afford to fix my water problems I will have an even better version of this beer.

I will definitely order these hops again this year.

Just kegged the SMASH I made, although the beer is not fully carbonated yet it is very good. The Belma has nice subtle flavor characteristics to it, was 90f out yesterday and was smooth going down. I am with Lucky Beagle... will order these hops again

I made an extract honey blonde ale with belma. Split the batch and bottled 2.5 gallons after a dry-hop with the belma. Took the other 2.5 gallons and added ~ 1 ounce of strawberry flavoring at bottling. Had both today and both are very nice summer beers. The honey ale, I can pick out the melon notes from the belma but not much with the strawberry tones that others are getting.
The strawberry honey blonde ale (with the flavoring) is a really nice fruity beer on its own.
Belma is not the greatest hop in the world but it has a place.

Back