Cheap DIY Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de3isit

Reaction score
Here is a great idea I from the White Labs tap room down in San Diego. I knew there was a reason I have been keeping all of the yeast vials. It was super easy to do. All six of them took about 20 minutes to make.

Tap Handle 1.jpg

Tap Handle 2.jpg

It would be cool if you could add some dye to some clear epoxy reisin, to mimic the color of the beer on tap.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Mine will be cap down though, and filled with grains or hops. Dark grains for the stouts, whole leaf hops for IPA etc.

Just a 3/8" nut with an axel cap super glued on top. The nut is placed inside the cap on a small bead of silicone caulk (had some lying around) centered on the hole drilled in the cap.

The axel hat is so that I can replace the handle based on the beer inside. Didn't want grains spilling out but I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish that.

All I used was a lock washer and a 3/8" nut with a socket and extension. No glue or epoxy needed. Super easy.

Fill 'em with beer.

That would be a PITA since they are not watertight. I thought about the epoxy, but getting them apart for cleaning would be a challenge. Not impossible, just more than I wanted to do. Like I said, all six only took 20 minutes to do.

de3isit said:
All I used was a lock washer and a 3/8" nut with a socket and extension. No glue or epoxy needed. Super easy.

I think I'm going to do this and seal the tunes with silicon caulk or even a cotton ball so the grains don't come out when I swap them...way easier than the way I've been it.

I'm a homebrewer and computer modder in my spare time. I'm thinking some battery powered El Wire, UV reactive water coolant, and these could be very cool. Now to start a build log and get some parts ordered!

A local brewpub does something like this -- except they fill the handles with the exact same grain used in the batch. So if you got a stout/porter, there would be black malts in the bottom, caramel malts in the middle, and the 2-row at top in the same ratio used int he batch.

I like the idea. And you can talk about the grains with anyone interested in it.

Pretty cool. I made a few with the tops down but I kinda like the looks of the tops up. also like the paper inside for what's on tap.

did you use a drill press for the hole?

Pretty cool. I made a few with the tops down but I kinda like the looks of the tops up. also like the paper inside for what's on tap.

did you use a drill press for the hole?

That would have been easier if I had one. I used a center punch and a cordless drill. I made the hole slightly larger than I need and used the washer to center them as I tighten them down.

Back