Worst Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyko

Reaction score
When I was a poor college student we could only afford.

beer-schaefer.jpg

Ugh. I had to drink that junk for years! When I had a Bud, I thought it was sooooooo good!

I hate that stuff! It tastes like yellow water. :mad: But it was only $2.50 for a 6 pack!

there was a beer called old german i could get $10 a case, but if you took back your bottles i think it was like $8

I recall buying Meisterbrau by the 24 pack for under $10 years back on the West coast. I drank it untill we found nasty sand looking and tasting sediment on the bottom. Ah the good old days.....

beerloaf

When I was a poor college student we could only afford.

beer-schaefer.jpg

Ugh. I had to drink that junk for years! When I had a Bud, I thought it was sooooooo good!

I hate that stuff! It tastes like yellow water. :mad: But it was only $2.50 for a 6 pack!

I have a friend who only drinks this. He loves it and grew up on it and told me multiple times that he likes it because they are the oldest brewery in the US. Once I gave him a Lowenbrau and he about puked from all the spitting he did trying to drink it. It was a sight to see...;)

Interesting, do you like Pabst?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaefer_Beer

beerloaf

My dad has long been appreciative of good beer, but all too often buys the "cheap swill" as he fondly refers to it, including Schaefer, Busch Light, and Natural Light.
In the Baltimore, MD area where I grew up, one of the classic cheap beers is National Bohemian, affectionately referred to as Natty Boh (not to be confused with "Natty Light"- whole different beast)

Natty Boh is seen as perhaps the perfect accompaniment to a pot of steamed crabs with Old Bay, and has often been sold for as little as $1.99 for a sixer.
It's actually not all that bad for the price, and the watery finish is probably a good idea for such a strongly seasoned seafood pairing.

I'll agree, to each his own. But there is some stuff out there that just bums me out!

This stuff is gross. I could only drink it when it was ice cold. I used to get paid with this stuff when I was 14 & mowing laws/washing cars. The guy used to act so cool when he gave me this stuff. It wasn't until I was older that I realized it was $7 a case. What an @sshole!

badbeer3_medium.jpg

I went camping with this guy who bragged, "I'll bring all the beer!" :D He had it in a cooler that was strapped to his roof with bungee cords. On the freeway it fell off at 50 mph & the cans went everywhere! When a truck hits a full can @ 50 mph, it's quite the site to see.

keystone_light_1.jpg

It wasn't till later that I realized it belonged on the freeway.

I actually like Pabst. They serve it at the flea market on those little golf carts. Oh, on a hot day, it's heaven! I'll drink Old Milwaukee. But my favorite cheap beer is.....................

MillerHighLife.jpg

Can I just say that that Victory Stout was perhaps the worst beer I have tasted recently?? And at $2+ a bottle it isnt "cheap."

After finishing a bottle of Hopticle Illusion and declaring it "pretty damn good I'm surprised" I read in the smaller print that it was also from Victory. So congrats, Victory, you get both my best and worst in recent memory.

By the way, I had a "friend" in college (dude turned out to be a real tool) who refered to Schaffer's as "friendly." "Its not awesome, its doesnt taste bad... its like that girl you meet at the bar right before you go home, and she's cute enough to make you wonder why shes still there"

Ugh, this swill was the worst I've had. $4.99/24 at Aldi's about ten years ago. As far as I can tell it's not produced anymore, I had a hell of a time even finding a picture of it.

+1 on the High Life though. It's pretty tasty on a hot summer day.

northstar.jpg

This surprisingly not all that bad beer is about .50¢ a can. What makes it not all that bad is that it doesn't have enough flavor to really have a taste at all.

beer-30.jpg

reddog.jpg

here is some **** beer i used to swill in college

Edit: zima and jolly ranchers was a big hit with the women at the time to lol

My dad used to drink Schaefer quite a bit. These were a couple other staples in our fridge:

Z1212.JPG

Z1022.JPG

Just seeing those cans brings a tear to my eye.

In college, my buddy and I would take Dad to an old pool hall in the sticks here in WV. They actually sold Schaefer in cans. My buddy and I would drink Bud Light, and Dad would always complain about us drinking that "piss water". :drunk:

Sea Dog Raspberry Wheat. This showed up in a random 6 pack for a "I haven't had this" beer tasting. It was so bad a couple people were wiping their tongues with paper towels to try and get rid of the taste. One sip each and the rest went down the drain.

Another was Saranac Caramel Porter...different time, same result. Gives me the willies to think about it.

I know its probably not fair to put a gluten free beer in the same catagory, but has anyone ever had "Bard"? Its a Sorghum (?) brew, and it was the only brew I have ever had to spit out.

This stuff had a very distinct petroleum based flavor. Not like it was an off flavor, it was the flavor. Home heating oil/diesel fuel. But we were in college, it was less than $5 a case, and we could get it delivered. We would buy a pallet of the stuff every Thu, 100# of ice and two trashbags full of popcorn. nasty stuff.

fort_schuyler_052810.jpg

Really?? I thought it tasted like a mix between funkified guinness and seltzer! Yick! Love the Hop Devil brew Victory puts out though!
Worst....beeer....everrrr

I have to stick up for Victory stout...I like it! Well, at least I like their RIS

I just bought this Spruce Beer from Garrison Brewing in Halifax. What awful crap. I'm all for resurrecting lost techniques but this stuff was, I expect, what poison tastes like. I poured it out after one sip; no resurrecting this swill.

Also Soporo is trashy junk....

Red stripe (Ugh) is better than either of these...

Worst I recall is Old Style Genuine Draft. I had it in the snack tent after running a race. It was probably donated by a retailer because it didn't sell and they couldn't get rid of it any other way. There was a good reason why it didn't sell. And that was before I knew what good beer was.

The absolute worst beer that I have ever drank was this crap called "Weideman". The stuff smelled so bad I would have quit drinking beer rather than drink that stuff.

First off let me clarify that anyone posting Miller High Life here as their serious "worst" beer is signing up for a brand new, non refundable, non returnable ass whooping from Chriso's Whoopin's Inc. You will not speak ill of The Champagne. :)

Now on to real "worst" beers.

Beer 30 Light. Someone already posted this. I have to second it.

I bought a 30 of Beer 30 Light in Madison, WI. I paid $9 for it. I was up there for a week's vacation. I brought 26 of those horrific cans of hydrogen-peroxide-tasting water home with me. And proceeded to give them, still full, all away to a friend 6 months later.

But more importantly... MINHAS LIGHT.

It's the only beer that has ever - EVER - made me miss drinking Beer 30 Light. Minhas isn't even worth describing, it just tastes like rancid ass, nothing else.

Honorable mention: Bud Light Lime.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just hating on fizzy lime - case in point, I will drink the crap outta Miller Chill all day long, it's actually delicious, especially when you're on a boat - but BLL is the polar opposite. The lime flavoring tastes like infection, the bud light tastes worse than usual, the carbonation isn't quite right, and it gives me the worst gut-rot I've ever had.

I would speculate about BL Lime-o-rita but I just can't be bothered to care any more. I'm done buying Anheuser flagship-line products. I am tired of falling for each gimmick they release. These days, I only want real, good craft beer, homebrew, or drinking-class American lager e.g. PBR, MHL, Grain Belt, etc. and not much in between there.

Anything with the label Shock Top can you know what on my you know who's.

Split a bud light chelada with a friend to see how terrible it was. We ended up seeing who could chug their can fastest. He almost threw up all over. It was savage.

First off let me clarify that anyone posting Miller High Life here as their serious "worst" beer is signing up for a brand new, non refundable, non returnable ass whooping from Chriso's Whoopin's Inc. You will not speak ill of The Champagne. :)

Now on to real "worst" beers.

Beer 30 Light. Someone already posted this. I have to second it.

I bought a 30 of Beer 30 Light in Madison, WI. I paid $9 for it. I was up there for a week's vacation. I brought 26 of those horrific cans of hydrogen-peroxide-tasting water home with me. And proceeded to give them, still full, all away to a friend 6 months later.

But more importantly... MINHAS LIGHT.

It's the only beer that has ever - EVER - made me miss drinking Beer 30 Light. Minhas isn't even worth describing, it just tastes like rancid ass, nothing else.

Honorable mention: Bud Light Lime.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just hating on fizzy lime - case in point, I will drink the crap outta Miller Chill all day long, it's actually delicious, especially when you're on a boat - but BLL is the polar opposite. The lime flavoring tastes like infection, the bud light tastes worse than usual, the carbonation isn't quite right, and it gives me the worst gut-rot I've ever had.

I would speculate about BL Lime-o-rita but I just can't be bothered to care any more. I'm done buying Anheuser flagship-line products. I am tired of falling for each gimmick they release. These days, I only want real, good craft beer, homebrew, or drinking-class American lager e.g. PBR, MHL, Grain Belt, etc. and not much in between there.

Anything with the label Shock Top can you know what on my you know who's.

Far from the worse I have ever had, but MHL does suck skunk balls. I can tell it does, cuz when I was drinking American style lagers, every time I got a sixer of it at least one was skunked. usually 3. Clear bottles, low cardboard carrier profile=skunked beer. Haven't touched one in almost 30 years.

Far from the worse I have ever had, but MHL does suck skunk balls. I can tell it does, cuz when I was drinking American style lagers, every time I got a sixer of it at least one was skunked. usually 3. Clear bottles, low cardboard carrier profile=skunked beer. Haven't touched one in almost 30 years.

Why on earth would you drink it from bottle? 16oz cans are the only way to roll. I thought everyone knew that. :fro:

When I was much poorer there was a store in NY that sold beer in a white can and all it said on the can was beer. It was $ 0.99 a six pack and if I remember right kind of had a half boiled ass rubbed with drit and oil taste how the hell we drank 4 cases is beyond me.

there was a beer called old german i could get $10 a case, but if you took back your bottles i think it was like $8

I had a friend whose mom threw a xmas party for him during our freshman year at college. We were underage so she did not want to serve alcohol so she mixed Old German with lemonade. It tasted like crap but it was alcoholic so we all drank it. Last time I had one and no desire to relive that ever again.

I will drink the crap outta Miller Chill all day long, it's actually delicious, especially when you're on a boat...

Actually, no, it isn't delicious. I accidentally drank pee once, on a boat. Didn't help.

For those of you who have not chosen to waste even a small portion of your income on Miller Chill, lemme splain it to you.

Get a large ice chest. Fill it with ice. Toss in a few pounds of Gulf shrimp. Put that on a boat, in the middle of summer. Motorboat around on your favorite body of salt water all day long. Pick a windy day, or drive into your own salt spray a lot. Be sure to do some fishing so you open the ice chest often. You want to open it so much that the ice melts and the shrimp start to turn pink. You also want to get some salt spray in the ice chest. Now, drive home. It helps if the lid flies off the ice chest about half way. Get home, park the boat and clean your fish. Now, lick your salty lips, reach a fish gut hand into the ice chest, scoop up some salty shrimp bait water and there you go. Miller Chill.

Actually, no, it isn't delicious. I accidentally drank pee once, on a boat. Didn't help.

For those of you who have not chosen to waste even a small portion of your income on Miller Chill, lemme splain it to you.

Get a large ice chest. Fill it with ice. Toss in a few pounds of Gulf shrimp. Put that on a boat, in the middle of summer. Motorboat around on your favorite body of salt water all day long. Pick a windy day, or drive into your own salt spray a lot. Be sure to do some fishing so you open the ice chest often. You want to open it so much that the ice melts and the shrimp start to turn pink. You also want to get some salt spray in the ice chest. Now, drive home. It helps if the lid flies off the ice chest about half way. Get home, park the boat and clean your fish. Now, lick your salty lips, reach a fish gut hand into the ice chest, scoop up some salty shrimp bait water and there you go. Miller Chill.

Colorful as the above description is, it's simply ridiculous, and speaks more to the posters imagination than to his palette.

Miller Chill tastes like Miller Lite with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of salt. If you don't like Miller Lite, you won't like Chill.

If you find Miller Lite passable/acceptable/inoffensive, you might like Chill more or less. I fall into this group, and certainly rate it higher than say, Coors (which tastes like very watery, weak hop tea) or Budweiser (which generally tastes like somewhat less watery beer with a hint of motor oil)

I recognize my own assessments of Coors and Bud are doubtless colored by my own palette, but I do recognize them as beer... just some of the worst possible examples.

Hey, I got the salt flavor in there. A pinch? It tastes like brine. The lime flavor is chalky and artificial.

Now, the beer they start with is just fine. I'm MGD from way back. I aint no BMC hater just because I make beer in a bucket. I truly do not like these pseudo Mexican style pre mixed beers. A salted and limed beer is enjoyable now and then, but it doesn't work pre mixed in a can.

Fair enough - something about their version of the lime flavoring and the right amount of salt just "works" for me I guess - for the same reason that some folks do like Bud Light Lime - but I can't stand the stuff.

I admit I am a Miller Anything guy when it comes to pale fizzy beers. Lite, MGD, High Life, Chill, I like most of their stuff. Even 64 is not bad - I drink that when I can't get a full buzz going on or am going to be walking a lot or such.
For me, Bud, not so much, and Coors, only the Banquet, not Light.

In happier news, I am digging the crap out of New Belgium Shift Pale Lager. It's outstanding. Fizzy pale beer I could drink all summer long. Need to see how much a keg would cost me.... ^_^

cb76 said:
The absolute worst beer that I have ever drank was this crap called "Weideman". The stuff smelled so bad I would have quit drinking beer rather than drink that stuff.

That beer gives me the worst smelling farts. Seriously I have cleared a house after a few of these.

Back in the late 70's as an unemployed steel worker, we would drink anything with "old" in the name ( old German, old forester ect.) because it was cheap. We would pour out a bit and then top off the can with tomato juice. You had to like tomato juice but it would definitely mask the taste.

Did I just read an entire post disparaging another man's taste in beer for no other reason than to show off their own beer awesomeness? Nah, most likely not, no one has that much spare time or such poor manners.

Back in the late 70's as an unemployed steel worker, we would drink anything with "old" in the name ( old German, old forester ect.) because it was cheap. We would pour out a bit and then top off the can with tomato juice. You had to like tomato juice but it would definitely mask the taste.

Sounds like what i did all summer two years ago ...

only i used high life and OJ = BEERMOSA

My terrible mentions:

1.) Schlitz I really don't like.
2.) Schaeffers (or however you spell it, terrible)
3.) Miller High Life - So many of my friends drank this going through college, I found it to my palate to be absolutely abhorrent, with a vile taste.
4.) Not cheap, and I like some smoke beers, but I could not stand Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche Oak Smoked Doppelbock. The Oak smoke overpowered the maltiness of the beer, and the underlying beer taste, like a salsa ruined with 2 pounds of cilantro. I couldn't taste anything but smoke, and it tasted like I was eating burnt bacon fumes. Except for I prefer burnt bacon.

Back