Help with Bluebonnet entry form!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleuChien

Reaction score
Im entering a beer into the fruit beer category and on the entry form it asks for special ingredients and brewing techniques. What all should I include? Ingredients and their schedule in the boil? Priming sugar? Date of brew and bottling? Just confused on what all to include. Thanks for the help.

Im entering a beer into the fruit beer category and on the entry form it asks for special ingredients and brewing techniques. What all should I include? Ingredients and their schedule in the boil? Priming sugar? Date of brew and bottling? Just confused on what all to include. Thanks for the help.

Just what qualifies it for fruit beer category. Usually you will include a base style and the kind of fruit. The base style does not need to be one of the classic styles.

So examples:

1. I brew a robust porter with cherries. In the box I enter "Cherry Robust Porter (12B)".
2. I enter a porter that is kinda too big to be robust but not really a baltic so I enter in the box "cherry porter"
3. I carry some schaerbeekse cherries back from my vacation to Belgium and think they add a distinct character to beer. I put some in my robust porter and enter "Robust Porter with schaerbeekse cherries (12B)"

The basic point is to give the judges an expectation of what is in the bottle and only to give really specific information (type of cherry, specific classic base style) if the beer in the glass is really going to come across as having that specific characteristic. Err on the side of less detail. I see a lot of "cherry extract added". In that case just say "cherry", by specifying extract all you can do is bias the judges against you if they think extract is bad. Similarly I have seen "cherries added with 5 minutes left in the boil and in the secondary". That level of detail is simply not need. Just give a frame of reference.

Great, thanks for the info! That was what I was unsure about. I have muscavado and some spices along with the fruit, and was unsure if I should add the addition time. Ill just put the ingredients that I believe them to be expecting.

I think you really should give up now and save your money..... I entered in the same category :cross: Unfortunately I tried it for the first time yesterday and it was shipped today so who knows. Hopefully all goes well. Can't wait for the event! :ban:

Back