s/s braid for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build my mash tun, i plan on using a s/s braid but was wondering if you just attach the braid as is {nothing inside it} or as i have seen in a few vids, insert a small coil of copper wire to make it more rigid and hold it's shape? i plan on batch sparging and am going to use a rectangle 54 qt cooler if it matters.

Depends on how rigid/stiff your braid is. Most of them are fairly stiff (even without the hose on the inside), but some collapse. Since you're going to be using a square cooler the mash is going to be putting less pressure on the braid, because the mash will be so spread out, you'll more than likely be fine with using only the braid without any wire.

Mine is fine without reinforcement. It's very rigid on its own.

She said the same thing about mine! :cross:

Usually the braid is fine on it's own. Just don't twist it up when stiring. Definitely remove the rubber hose from inside the braid. The standard braids work fine. There is also a giant water heater size braid that may be stronger.

I have a 5 gallon cylindrical mash tun and I have had no issues with my braid. I have noticed that if you stretch the braid it opens up more and could make the structure less rigid so I don't stretch mine out.

I guess it would be easy to put a piece of copper tubing with a bunch of holes drilled in it to prevent the braid from getting squished! Hmmm, I never thought about that, now I have something to do this weekend! LOL

I have a 5 gallon cylindrical mash tun and I have had no issues with my braid. I have noticed that if you stretch the braid it opens up more and could make the structure less rigid so I don't stretch mine out.

I guess it would be easy to put a piece of copper tubing with a bunch of holes drilled in it to prevent the braid from getting squished! Hmmm, I never thought about that, now I have something to do this weekend! LOL

As long as you are drilling copper you might as well make a manifold and throw the braid thing away.

I had a SS braid on my cooler mash tun for 5 brews, and the problems i found were that its easy to dent the braid with your mash paddle and when you stir in your grains, the braid can get mixed up as well and come up off the bottom of the cooler. Just this week I went to the hardware store and bought some 1/2" cpvc to build a manifold. It cost me all of 9 dollars and it took me about 15 minutes to build. I am using it on Saturday, but it looks like it will be much more efficient, and it's much more rigid than the SS braid. I think the manifold is the way to go!

I bought a bazooka tube for my 50qt Coleman rectangular from Northern brewer and it workedmamazing for my firstvall grain I did last Sunday .

Back