Mash Tun Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PThatcher

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make the jump to all grain, but I have a few concerns about the Mash Tun.

I am going to use SS Hose-Mesh as a screen, but am worried about electrolysis between the mesh and the barb, or the barb and the nipple (if I can’t find them in Stainless.) Has this been a problem for anyone? Does it affect the Mash at all?

Also

Is there any risk of the Mash (5 Gallon Batch) crushing the Mesh?

I use the same stainless braid with brass hose barb. No corrosion so far on it. The braid is really holding up well. I have a 5gal igloo mash tun and use a metal broomstick to stir the mash which is pretty rough on the braid somtimes. I haven't had any damage yet.

I have heard of this...........

However, I have never tasted the effects of this or even seen anything when used in practice. I used the stainless hose attached to the brass barb valve for awhile and didn't notice any effects. I've drank a lot of a buddies beer who brews with stainless hose on the brass valve also and haven't tasted any negative effects from doing so.

I have the same set up. Granted, I've only used it once so far, but I didn't notice anything off in the flavor. I have a stainless braid and brass fittings. As for crushing the braid with the grain, I didn't have any problems with draining the mash tun. Actually, what I realized is that the wort isn't running down the length of the braid like if you had a manifold. It basically just acts like a filter screen where the wort enters the bulkhead. Even if the braid got crushed, it wouldn't impact the flow. The only deficiency I saw in the design is that it is difficult to completely drain the tun because of the location of the bulkhead. You will almost always have a few ounces of wort left in the tun after you drain it. Although, I figure a few ounces is hardly worth worrying about.

I've been using my stainless braid for over a year in my 10 gallon MLT cooler with brass fittings with no problems at all. I use a heavy homemade stainless paddle and the braid has taken a beating.....but keeps on going.

Thanks, I guess I am just showing my neuroses. I imagine that the hour or so that everything is wet won’t cause any damage, as long as everything is dried thoroughly.

So far the SS braid hose has done very well in my tun, granted I've only used it twice. I have not observed any problems with the hose collapsing under the weight of the grain, even with the 16lb grain bill for its first use and 12 lbs on the second.

I've used my braid setup (a Bargain Fittings kit including valve and associated hardware) for a year, in batches ranging from a 9 pound pale ale to a 19 pound barleywine. I'm using the HD/Rubbermaid 10 gal. "big orange" 10 gal. cooler, and no problems so far.

>
but am worried about electrolysis between the mesh and the barb, or the barb and the nipple
Step 1 - Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Has this been a problem for anyone?
I'm sure it happens, this is two metals with some difference in dielectric constants, but I've never heard of a problem. At most, some metal ions would end up in the beer, then get sucked up by the yeast and tossed into the waste with them.

Does it affect the Mash at all?
Never heard of it having any effect.

I just built my first mash tun last night with a braid. I robbed about
2 ft of #12 copper wire out of some scrap romex or home wire.
Then I coiled it tightly around an ink pen and streched it out like
a spring and inserted it inside the braid.

>

I'm sure it happens, this is two metals with some difference in dielectric constants, but I've never heard of a problem. At most, some metal ions would end up in the beer, then get sucked up by the yeast and tossed into the waste with them.
Never heard of it having any effect.

Does that happen? That would ease my worries about using my brass fittings (lead and such).

Does that happen? That would ease my worries about using my brass fittings (lead and such).

Yeast have a protein of a class called metalothioneins, theirs is from the gene called CUP1. Its highest affinity is for copper, but it'll bind other metals to some degree or another. It causes the metal to be sequestered away in the yeast. It's not perfect, but it'll get most of the heavier metals out of the wort.

Back