Hop Growing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suds

Reaction score
I’ve read that climate does not effect hop growth much. However, I live in northern Nevada where we have cold winters and dry hot summers. Tomatoes and bell peppers grow great in my back yard garden. I’d like to plant hops this spring, but don’t want to if my climate is wrong for them…Does anyone have experience with hop growing in a high-desert climate? Cheers!

Primary - Personal IPA
Kegged - Irish Stout

Most of the Yakima valley has weather like that. The main trick is to keep the roots cool and moist.

Take a look at the hops growing sub-forum.

Hops don''t mind cold winters but they do like water during the growing season. I think a good layer of mulch would help keep their growing spot moderated in the hot sun and keep moisture from evaporating too quickly.

Thanks fellas...I'm going to pre-order my Rhizomes this week.
:cross:

hey suds! where in northern nevada are you? i am near winnemucca! we have been growing hops up here for two years now. it was just one plant and last year i picked just about a pound of hops. and the plant was four feet tall entangled in mesh fence. not fun to pick. but i have since built a proper hop garden and planted about 10 rhizomes harvested from the one plant. and set up poles and a wire stretched between them at about 10ft. gonna have lots a hops come fall! :ban::ban::ban:

that's fantastic...I'm in the Reno/Sparks area and plan to pre-order my rhizomes soon. Congratulations on your hop-growing success. What style are you growing? I'd like to try cascade and nugget (or magnum).:mug:

to tell you the truth i have no idea what species it is. it was ordered out of a gardening catalog by my parents with intention of just using it as decoration. i harvested the hops and then decided to plant more. all i know is they smell good and it produced a lot of hops! i may be jumping the gun a little seeing as i have not even try tried them in a beer yet! :D i also have another rhizome i need to plant when it warms up, its another unknown but this was harvested from a wild hop plant from northern california where my great grandfather used to be a brewer near where anderson valley brewing is now located.

Very cool LazyPBar...sounds like you better whip up a batch and give them a shot.

It will be great to see how the wild hops from your great grandfathers area taste! Cheers, amigo!

Suds, there is a commercial hops operation in Washoe Valley. You can find it by asking someone at one of the few businesses in New Washoe City. Perhaps you can get some advice applicable to us growers in northern Nevada.

Thanks, NMG - That is really cool. I had no idea, but I'll check out the operation in WV. I ordered a magnum, Mt. Hood and cascade. Currently they're in 1 gallon pots and I'm ready to put them into my garden. Right now, my three plants are doing well.

Good luck. As long as you keep them from drying out, you'll be in great shape. If you can grow tomatoes and pepper, hops of just about any variety will thrive.

Thanks Randar...My garden does well so I'm stoked about these hops. :rockin:

Back