1st AG batch...high OG?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth05g

Reaction score
made my first AG batch last week, ended up with an OG of 1.072 from the northern brewer's lefse blonde kit. it calls for an OG of 1.053. i just took a sample this evening and the hydrometer read 1.013, and i took a little sip from my test tube and it was pretty horrible. like a really strong aroma of alcohol and tasted sulfury and stong...(not good) its hard to explain. any ideas of what i did wrong. i did boil for longer than was called for but only about 20 minutes to get it down around 5 gal. my mash temps were right on and i used 1.3 qt. of water/ lb. (11.5 lbs of grain) my sparge water temps were good as well, but i was only able to use about 2.5 gal to sparge since the size of my pot. any ideas?

idk about the sulfury part but what happened for the OG was you had a better efficiency then the batch was made for. i believe most kits are based at 70%.. correct me if im wrong. so next time you will have to lower your grain bill if you expect to get that efficiency again so you can hit your target OG

...later on a good efficiency will be a good thing lol

the only thing i can think of is maybe an infected batch...it smells really bad!!! and the taste isnt as bad but....im gonna let it ride....see how it comes out. the yeast seems to be doing fine and it is still slowly fermenting....this is only my 4th batch, so i have yet to run into these issues, so i dont know exactly what to look for.

patience may be the key... as difficult as that is lol. Aging has always calmed my worries, because afterwords it seems to always works out.

Hopefully yours does as well.

Back