Honey instead of corn sugar as a primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NChomebrewer

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle a honey brown ale and I have a few questions in regards to using honey as a primer rather than corn sugar.

Will using the honey increase the taste of honey in the beer?

How much honey should I use and how should it be prepared before putting it into the bottling bucket?

If I do use honey, how much time should I allow the beer to age in the bottles?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

NChomebrewer said:
I am getting ready to bottle a honey brown ale and I have a few questions in regards to using honey as a primer rather than corn sugar.

Will using the honey increase the taste of honey in the beer?

How much honey should I use and how should it be prepared before putting it into the bottling bucket?

If I do use honey, how much time should I allow the beer to age in the bottles?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

I tried priming with honey and didn't appreciate the results compared to priming with a healthy dose of DME (I got with about 1.5 cups for 5 gallons). I've had luck going half-DME and half honey.

molasses? ill be bottling my gingerbread ale in a couple weeks...
ive asked elsewhere before, but the more help, the better!

I really doubt that the priming sugars will have too much influence on the finished products aroma/palate. We're talking about a pint of primer vs 5 gallons. So that's 2.5% of your total fluid. Given that alot of the impurities boil out (as they should) during the primer boil, you're going to get even less flavor than you think.

The primer is not the place to optimize your recipe. If you think the beer isn't what you wanted, then amend the recipe and do better next time. Right now, the best thing you can do is focus on adequate carbonation---meaning, corn sugar or DME.

Or, if you want to wait, you could always brew and ferment a small supplementary batch that is strong on the characteristics you're looking for, and then blend them.

Have you tasted your beer in awhile? Are you even sure that it needs any help?

I have tasted the beer and there is not much of a honey taste to it. The recipe called for a pound of honey and I used 1.5 lbs.

I didn't think using honey instead of corn sugar would make that much of a difference because so very little is used but I thought I would ask anyway and see what opinions I would get.

Thanks for the input.

Honey ferments pretty completely, leaving a very subtle flavor. If you want honey flavor, kill the yeast with heat or Campden tablets before adding it or use a honey malt. I like adding honey on the order of several pounds as an adjunct, but I doubt I'll ever use it to prime.

Yuri_Rage said:
If you want honey flavor, kill the yeast with heat or Campden tablets before adding it or use a honey malt.

But if you kill the yeast, you can't bottle carb it, only CO2 in a keg, no?

How Much to use? check here http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

Time wise I would guess a month for carbonation, but check it at 2 weeks and decide for yourself

I prepare it just like you would if it was corn syrup or DME, add some water bring to a boil and cool

The increas in honey flavor will be very little, possibly not even noticable unless you mention it to someone

I have used honey in several brews and had great results. I am talking carbed bottles in several days! I use 1 cup water and boil it, then "melt" the honey in it... let it cool and add it at bottling time. It leaves very little taste to the beer, if any, but I have had great carbonating results with it certainly!

Brewpilot

Drinking: Summer Wheat
Brewing: Raspberry Ale
Gone too soon: Drowning Wasp Ale

I have used honey in several brews and had great results. I am talking carbed bottles in several days! I use 1 cup water and boil it, then "melt" the honey in it... let it cool and add it at bottling time. It leaves very little taste to the beer, if any, but I have had great carbonating results with it certainly!

Why is it that people love to throw their vague opinions around but no one will commit to giving any facts, like how much honey to use for priming?

Why is it that people love to throw their vague opinions around but no one will commit to giving any facts, like how much honey to use for priming?

Why is it that folks bump a 5 year old thread with a snarky attitude towards one post, when the very post BEFORE IT answers that EXACT question by providing a link to a carbonation calculator that actually lists HONEY as one of the ingredients, and therefore would EASILY tell you how much to use???? All one needs to do is fill in a few fields and in less than a minute they would have that very answer?

;)

It's not a "vague opinion" it's going to be different for every brew....

Alright, alright I was kind of snarky and I might have just been skimming, saw that guy's post and replied... anyways haha

Back