room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teachtim

Reaction score
I live in the Hampton Roads area of VA and am wondering what worries might persist with brewing during different times of the year. I have used MR. Beer in the past and really like the results. However, some of the recipes has specific temps to keep the beer at for various steps. Do you have the same issues with all grain or extract brewing? I know how to control the temps of the wort for boiling and yeast pitching but what about when the beer is fermenting?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Fermentation is the same no matter what method of brewing you use. Search for "temperature control" or "fermentation temperature" in the search feature and you will find thousands of threads on the subject. This question comes up every day and ten times a day during the summer.

Eric

Do you have the same issues with all grain or extract brewing?

Absolutely. I would probably say that temperature control during fermentation, next to sanitation, is probably the most important factor in ensuring that your beer is the best it can be. Every yeast strain has optimal fermentation temperatures. Too high & you can get overactive fermentation which can lead to esters (fruitiness) and off flavors. Too low and the yeast will go to sleep. In VA, I am sure you can get solid temperatures during the spring, winter, & fall for ales. Lagers are a different story and I really wouldn't try them without a chest freezer/refrigerator/temperature control setup. It all depends on how much you are willing to invest. If you are moving from Mr. Beer to something legit, stick with ales and try to find a spot where you can hit 65 degrees +/- 5 degrees. Here is my setup...I can keep my temperatures within a degree of my target. The freezer was $200 & the controller was $100.

photo-28.jpg

photo2-7.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

Thanks. I love IPA's so maybe its is the right time of the year for me to brew. Our house will stay around 68 degrees. The garage is a bit cooler I can arrange one upstairs room to be cooler as well. I'll also talk to my local homebrew store when I go to purchase my equipment.
I can't view those pics by the way, it says they were removed.

Thanks again.

I searched room temperature and only ended up with outside links.

I searched room temperature and only ended up with outside links.

Try this thread. I describe my method in post #10 and include pictures on page 2 and 3. This is what I use year round.

Remember, fermentation is exothermic (builds heat...remember high school chemistry?). This means that even if your room is 68, your beer can be fermenting at 80 degrees due to the internal heat. Even if the room temp is good, you still need a more responsive way to control the carboy temp, like a fridge or fan/water or bucket/ice bottle method.

Eric

Back