CO2 blows out top of tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonP

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just had my 5lb CO2 tank refilled at my local welding supply shop and when I hooked it to my system and opened the tank, the CO2 came blowing out from the top where I turned it on. I shut it off, reconnected the regulator to the tank and it happened again. Oddly, even though it blows out of the top, it still causes the gauge to go up. Please help!!

If it is comming ou around the nut... You forgot the vynal/plastic washer in the nut where the regulator connects to the tank... Check see if it there if now I'm pretty sure the wielding shop you go the tank refilled would see you one for like 5 cents

I think he's saying it's leaking around the valve at the top of the tank? Some tanks need the valve to be fully open or it doesn't seal. So try quickly turning the valve as far as you can, see if that stops it.

I just made a post asking for help about this same issue not seeing this one already. I tried the open the valve all the way suggestion and all that does it send more gas leaking out. I am a complete noob with kegging and this is my first tank fill. I'm was wondering if I could take it back to the shop that filled the tank and have them tighten up that nut under the valve and maybe that would solve the issue.

I think he's saying it's leaking around the valve at the top of the tank? Some tanks need the valve to be fully open or it doesn't seal. So try quickly turning the valve as far as you can, see if that stops it.

That's exactly where it is leaking from. Gave it a shot and it just blew CO2 all over the place. Pretty soon I won't have any CO2 left!

I'm thinking about bringing it back to the welding place I brought it to (that also specializes is beer mixes) and asking them to look at it. This didn't happen the first time I got it filled.

So I took it back to the welding supply store that I got it filled from and it turns out I had a faulty valve, hence the CO2 blowing out the top. 25 bucks for a new valve and I'm up and running.

Back