priming mistake...is there hope ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
i underprimed my batch of brown ale by about 50% on the sugar. today i pulled a bottle out of the case to look and there is a nice layer of sediment on the bottom. does that mean i have bottle fermentation ? or am i too hopeful ??

You'll have carbonation, but it'll be lower than planned. It's probably riskier to open every bottle and add carb tabs than to just deal with a low carbed beer and get to brewing the next one.

Since it is a Brown ale, lower carbonation really isn't a problem. There's an entire cult dedicated to flat beers (AKA real ales). The sediment is normal for bottle conditioning.

Just shake it up really well before opening!

Kidding (don't do that), while it will be a little flatter that you are used to you may find you like it. I let my beer sit to warm up a bit and I guess it looses some CO2 and I love it.

i snuck a taste last night....i actually got a tiny little fart of gas when i popped the top after a week. no head at all tho.....

the flavor as best i can describe is good but not "harmonious" if that is a good word. its almost like i am tasting two beers at once. i can taste the brown ale flavor in the background but in the front it tastes like i just stuck my tongue in LME !

A week usually isn't long enough for carbonation and conditioning. Give it another week or two and it will almost certainly be better.

Back