Immersion chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Hey everybody...I made a sweet immersion chiller out of 33 feet of 3/8" copper tube and what have you, and I have a quick question. I've heard that some brewers put their chiller into the boiling wort for the last 15 minutes of the boil to sterilize it. Does anyone do this? Will the copper effect the taste of the beer? Couldn't I just hit the chiller with my spray bottle of Star-San?

Hey everybody...I made a sweet immersion chiller out of 33 feet of 3/8" copper tube and what have you, and I have a quick question. I've heard that some brewers put their chiller into the boiling wort for the last 15 minutes of the boil to sterilize it. Does anyone do this? Will the copper effect the taste of the beer? Couldn't I just hit the chiller with my spray bottle of Star-San?

You will find that most people drop in the last 15 minutes...a couple of people on here hit it with sanitizer, but most just drop in the boiler...It will be your choice.

Logically speaking, if it "affected the taste of your beer" do you think people would do it then? Or would books and websites say in big bold letters Do not do this!!! :D

Actually a little bit if trace copper will be good for your yeasties according to the Australian's who host the Craftbrewer radio podcasts...

Don't worry about it. try each way and see what works for you.

By the way,,, this thread sux without pictures of your new monstrocity! :mug:

Dang, I'm quickly becoming a Revvy fan. YES, please post PIX! I'm a n00b and only about thiiis far from making a chiller for myself...

Back