Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
OK, now that my CFC is done I need to start work on the fermentation chamber. My idea is to fit this whole thing under an existing workbench in my garage, even utilizing some of the 2x4 supports to give it more rigidity. I plan to use exterior grade 3/8" plywood over the 2x4's, insulate with 1.5" foam board, and cover it all with a bathroom fiberboard and caulking. The chamber will be big enough to fit 3 carboys and maybe a couple of cornies as well for conditioning. I will be making a door that will fit flush with the face of the unit, and will be insulated as well.

The cooling unit will be a full size mini-fridge, that I was previously using as a small kegerator. I'll be installing a computer fan to get the air circulating, and controlling temps with either a analog Johnson ($55) or Dual Stage Ranco ($120) controller. Since it doesn't get very cold in my garage, I think a simple heat lamp that is always on would keep the chamber warm enough. It could be plugged in at all times during the colder months. I really like the idea of the dual stage Ranco, but it's more than twice the cost of the Johnson control.

If you've done a project like this before and have any suggestions or warnings, please let me know! I'm in the planning phase for this, but will hopefully be purchasing the lumber and insulation this weekend.

Here's a rough sketchup of the fermentation chamber:
Ferm%20Chamber.jpg

This is the fridge I'll be using:
DSCF0026.JPG

This is the workbench, with the fridge in the middle. I'll turn the fridge sideways, and will be building the fermentation chamber on the right side. I'll be moving the hinged work table to the left side to allow clear access. I don't plan on using the ENTIRE right side, just about 3 feet.
DSCF0231.JPG

Back