Belgian candy sugar instead of corn sugar for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Saison today, and I was struck with a thought: What if I set aside some of the belgian candy sugar to use for priming instead of using corn sugar? Has anyone tried this? Does anyone see any drawbacks to doing it? If I do it, how much should I use?

I've done 1/3 cup candy sugar (light hard candy) and 1/2 cup corn sugar for a Leffe clone. That gave it a really good level of carbonation. It was one of my first batches and I can't say that it added much flavor, but I was just thrilled that I made drinkable beer at that point and wasn't too concerned about small tweaks.

Well, I ended up just using all of the candy sugar in the boil and I'll probably just use some corn sugar or DME for the priming.

Priming sugar has a negligible effect on flavor, at best. Unless you really just want the aesthetic appeal of using something different, corn sugar or table sugar are your most reliable and cheapest options.

Back