Unidentifiable grain from Midwest order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum -

I just received my latest order from Midwest. I ordered several grains in 5-pound lots that came in plastic bags. The grains are all light and very similar in appearance. The problem is that Midwest wrote the grain description with a black Sharpie and the writing came off. The ten pound bag is just as bad but it was the only one and can be indentified by default. Can anyone help identify these for me? Here are the choices:

Carapils
Munich 10
Honey Malt
Biscuit (identifiable)

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

seems pretty clear from whats left of the writing the writing and what you ordered. Biscuit, Carpalis, Munich 10. The last pic i cant see any writing, but if Honey malt is the last thing you ordered, then i guess assume thats what you got.

seems pretty clear from whats left of the writing the writing and what you ordered. Biscuit, Carpalis, Munich 10. The last pic i cant see any writing, but if Honey malt is the last thing you ordered, then i guess assume thats what you got.
+1 - you can still practically read Munich 10 on that third pic, and the "ls" at the end on the second pic is a dead giveaway for the carapils. If you want to be sure about the honey, you could try chewing on it and see if it tastes anything like honey...

That's what it looks like to me too. From the top, it's Biscuit, Carapils (I can make out the 'ils' on the end) Munich 10 (looks like 'M..-,-.,10' on the bag) and then blank would be the honey malt.

You should send these photos to Midwest so that they can fix this for future orders.

If you want to be sure about the honey, you could try chewing on it and see if it tastes anything like honey...

That's the first thing I thought of...it actually DOES taste like honey. I could also identify Biscuit by taste, I'm not sure about Munich. Carapils doesn't have much taste, but it's significantly harder than other grains and can be identified that way.

+1 on sending the photos to Midwest, they need to know that their system doesn't work. They need some kind of paper tag on the bags.

I agree, you should send the photos to midwest. Don't ask them for any kind of recompense (unless they really want to) but just let them know that the marker wears off in shipment.

Latest posts

Back