Irish Moss... Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Sorry, I've checked the other threads and didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Can someone tell me when and why Irish Moss should be added to a Brew? Im making an Irish Stout and the Moss was on the recipe.

Also, when steeping grains, I'll assume all grains should be seperated in thier own steeping bag? Or is one bag for all grains acceptable (this is an extract recipe requiring steeped grains)

Thanks in advance,
jay

You can steep all your grains in the same bag. No problem there. That's the way the guru at my LHBS told me to do it and I've always done it that way...
Irish Moss is to help clear up your beer. Not necessary in my opinion, but....It's really up to you.

Irish Moss coagulates the protieins that precipitate out of the wort during the boil and helps prevent them dissolving back into solution as it cools as does rapid cooling. It assists but doesnt guarentee clarity in your beer and is made out of seaweed, and as we all know seaweed, like dolphins and can cure anything so always worth using ;)

Especially useful when doing AG or steeping grains. Works great and reduces the protiens in your beer thus reducing or eliminating chill haze. Also will help lower the size of your belly since there are less protiens for your bowls to feed on. ;)

You can mix the steeping grains, just don't fill the bags over 1/2 full. The grain will swell and if it gets too tight the water can't circulate.

Irish moss will also remove some of the grain dust & husk fragments.

david_42 said:
You can mix the steeping grains, just don't fill the bags over 1/2 full. The grain will swell and if it gets too tight the water can't circulate.

Isn't this why rice hulls are recommended for heavy grain bills?

jaymack said:
Can someone tell me when and why Irish Moss should be added to a Brew? Im making an Irish Stout and the Moss was on the recipe.

jay

Heck, it wouldn't really be an "Irish Stout" without "Irish Moss.":D

What the hell is Irish Moss? I mean, I have a bottle of it and know what it looks like and is for, but is it really some moss from Ireland? :p Would the moss that grows in southeast Oklahoma work as well?

Its actually, carragheen a species of deep-reddish coloured seaweed found near Waterford Ireland, apparently it is also found rockyshores on the other side of the Atlantic too.

Back