Fruit Press!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sure makes the wine making process more efficient. I think I might be getting a more complete extraction from this year's berries. Hope it tastes good - only time will tell. I went 5lbs per gallon this year and brought it up to 1.090 SG.

image-834727306.jpg

I literally bought a 3.2gallon hydraulic press last week from Homebrew Heaven. (they are mentioned in vendor section).
It was "time". I look forward to better extraction and less manual labor when compared to trying to press by hand!!

I have a large, old, and I am assuming, cast iron fruit press. I have never used it, because I was under the impression that only enamelware and stainless should be used in the processing and making of wine. Anyone know if an old gynormous, metal press can be used?

I have a large, old, and I am assuming, cast iron fruit press. I have never used it, because I was under the impression that only enamelware and stainless should be used in the processing and making of wine. Anyone know if an old gynormous, metal press can be used?

Depending on where you live you may be able to find someone to sandblast this and refinish it--making it perfect for use (if it needs cleanup).

I'm jealous! We've been discussing a fruit press for years but so far it's Yooper Muscle Power that makes our wines.

Where did you get yours?

I purchased it on Amazon just like the one linked above. I sorta cringed a bit at the price, but Dad picked somewhere around 150lbs of Blackberries and Raspberries this year. I am hoping it helps add to the body of the wine :)

FWIW - I can handily press out the remainder of 30 lbs of berries in one shot with it. My process is to mash the berries and apply the various ingredients, namely pectic enzyme. After letting the must ferment for about 4-5 days with minimal added water, I scoop all the berry matter out and press it.

This is the one my mother gave me. I just not sure if there will be an adverse reaction from the metal, with the acids in the fruit. Sorry you have to look at it funny, for some reason, it did not rotate...:( It does come very clean, but here in Southern Mississippi, after one use and before the next, it has to be wiped down with a doobie pad, to remove the surface rust. To use it for pressing fruit, I can't really oil it up like I do my cast iron skillets. I usually make five gallons of wine at a time and I really don't want to use it if it screws up my juice.

100_0560.jpg

As long as you give it a good rinse when you are done, it should last you. I've made wine with a similar press and the wine turned out great!

while these complete set-ups are awesome, its just not in my budget. I have plans drawn up to turn parts I have at home into a press...just need the time to actually build it now...

congrats on the purchase and let us know your yield increase

As long as you give it a good rinse when you are done, it should last you. I've made wine with a similar press and the wine turned out great!

Thanks, my next batch of wine is going to be prickly pear, as soon as the rest of the fruit is ready. This will make it a whole lot easier, as the seeds in this fruit nearly tore up my juicer last year!!! -A

MzAnnie---have you ever used a steam juicer for your prickly pears? Awesome!!

FWIW, I noticed the price point on the tabletop press was $40 more than what I paid for the 3.2gal hydraulic press...very impressed with the price and the quality (it arrived yesterday). http://store.homebrewheaven.com/grape-crushers-fruit-presses--oak-barrels-c23.aspx Presses start at under $90. Well worth the investment, and for those who are mechanically inclined if you can make you own that is AWESOME, I wish I was a builder, but I am not. Big Sigh.

MzAnnie---have you ever used a steam juicer for your prickly pears? Awesome!!

FWIW, I noticed the price point on the tabletop press was $40 more than what I paid for the 3.2gal hydraulic press...very impressed with the price and the quality (it arrived yesterday). http://store.homebrewheaven.com/grape-crushers-fruit-presses--oak-barrels-c23.aspx Presses start at under $90. Well worth the investment, and for those who are mechanically inclined if you can make you own that is AWESOME, I wish I was a builder, but I am not. Big Sigh.

I haven't a clue what a steam juicer is. What I do know, is that I didn't do enough research, when I made my first batch of prickly pear wine, and I had a BUTT-LOAD of those nasty, miniscule prickers in my hands, because I only blanched the fruit, thinking that would soften them up. I was so mad, that I burnt the rest of the batch, over an open flame, (which killed the prickers)then (still mad), threw them in my juicer. You should have heard the racket of those seeds bouncing around. :( This year, I macgyvered a roasting cage that I can use on a bonfire, to burn the spines off, then I was going to cut them in half, scoop out the pulp, I put it directly into the primary. Then this post came up about the presses. If you can give me any insight, it would be appreciated. I really love this wine, but I am also really paranoid about those nasty little prickers getting into my wine, or me! I just checked out the steam juicers on ebay. You are right, they are awesome. I just wonder how I can get one of those in the house without the husband noticing???

MzAnnie...also check Amazon, you can usually catch one on sale. If you do get one, go for stainless steel.
Last time I processed the fruit I used a blow torch, it was so quick. Then I sliced the top and bottom off, one vertical slice and then I peeled the skin right off. The roasting basket you have will work...I am imagining a grill basket for fish or vegetables.

I just wish my cacti were larger and fruiting, they will get there.

MzAnnie...also check Amazon, you can usually catch one on sale. If you do get one, go for stainless steel.
Last time I processed the fruit I used a blow torch, it was so quick. Then I sliced the top and bottom off, one vertical slice and then I peeled the skin right off. The roasting basket you have will work...I am imagining a grill basket for fish or vegetables.

I just wish my cacti were larger and fruiting, they will get there.

I love the idea of using a blowtorch. I'll have to get one. I was looking at the steamers. I might have to wait a little on that. Trying to save a little money so I can get my wine cellar built :p This wine venture was supposedly a 'cheap' way to use our extra produce. Now I find myself explaining to husband, why I need another room added on to the house! :), and why there are 9-5 gallon buckets in the laundry room at all times. Of course, it is all good @ 6:00 pm when we are enjoying a glass!!! Thanks for the tips!!! I WILL find a way to get my new steamer!!!

Here is a comparison photo I took today of non pressed berry wine and pressed berry wine. The non pressed has a 30 day head start so it has cleared and settled more. The mon pressed was left in a mesh paint strainer bag and squeezed for dear life.

It is difficult to see, but the pressed wine appears to be much richer.

image-4209656714.jpg

Back