2012 Manhattan Wort Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybear7

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to be brewing for this season's Manhattan/Brooklyn Wort contest in NYC. I'm wondering if any of the other brewers are on here also? I'd love to know what others are brewing or planning on brewing for the event. I have my competition lager fermenting right now. I'd be happy to share more details or post the recipe if other competitors would do the same. The idea is to win with the best beer on your merits. I think if you are confident in your skills and have a spirit of competition you won't mind sharing information. If you're not comfortable with it, that's cool too.

I see some lookers but no posters. Would it help if I post my recipe first?

I'm still working on a name. It is already lagering, but I'd be happy to get feedback. Here it is:

Manhattan Wort Festbier
Author: dirtybear7
Category: 3 - European Amber Lager
Subcategory: B - Oktoberfest/Märzen
Kettle Volume: 8.0 gal (1.039)
Boil Duration: 1.5 h
Evaporation: 1.5 gal
Water Volume Added: -0.24 gal
Final Volume: 6.0 gal (1.057)
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 73.0%
Evap./Hour: 1 gal
Ingredients:
5.0 lb (35.7%) Munich TYPE I; Weyermann - added during mash
3.0 lb (21.4%) Bohemian Pilsner Malt; Weyermann - added during mash
3.0 lb (21.4%) Vienna Malt; Weyermann - added during mash
1.0 lb (7.1%) Caramunich® TYPE III; Weyermann - added during mash
1.0 lb (7.1%) Smoked Malt; Weyermann - added during mash
1.0 lb (7.1%) Cocoa Nib Candi Syrup; Cascade Beer Candi Company - added after boil, steeped 5.0 m
1 oz (50.0%) Santiam (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 m
0.5 oz (25.0%) Santiam (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
0.5 oz (25.0%) Santiam (6.0%) - steeped after boil
0.5 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m
2.0 ea WYeast 2308 Munich Lager™
0.5 tsp Wyeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m

A Co-brewer and I were chosen for Manhattan Wort as well. Brewed two beers, waiting to see how they come out.

Anybody else brewing for the contest? Even if you don't want to reveal you recipe, what styles are people going for?

How crazy did people get with decorating their booths? Did people use Jockey boxes or picnic type dispensers or did most people bottle?

There were people doing all of that, boxes, picnic taps, I had bottles but will be serving from a keg this time.

I did this maybe a year ago, and it was fun, but it's two 2-hour sessions, so 4+ hours of pouring. I had a good time, but it was a one and done thing for me, I was absolutely exhausted at the end.

Hello fellow brewers!

My brother and I both got spots for this year.

My entry is an IPA based off a Sahti ( fir tip tea, fir tips, belgian farmhouse yeast, rye )

My brother has made a Roggenbier ( german rye beer, german ale yeast )

we are both kegging.
we dont have any booth decorations. although i am toying with the idea of having a stack of printed copies of my recipe.

along with a print out of my breweries name: Hoboken Low Rollers

good luck and I'll see you there!

hey dirtybear --> what was your booth number?
wondering if i tried your brew.

i think i tried about 20 out of the 25. some damn fine beers were on display.

standing for 4+ hours was pretty tough.
its also a lot of talking. i felt like me voice was hoarse last night after it was over.

posted my recipe for the event: http://hobokenlowrollers.com/beers/sahti_IPA.htm

I was #11 the Festbier.

I didn't get to walk around too much unfortunately. I did run out of beer early. I got to try the winning black IPA, which I enjoyed.

It was a lot of work all around but super fun. I was a little disappointed that one judge gave me a much lower score than all of the rest, while also giving me the least amount of feedback. I mean if you don't like something tell me what, so I can try to fix it. To me that seems like lazy judging.

I had an awesome time an hope to be in the next one. I was really just stoke to get to share the beer and see people enjoy it.

the guys who won live two blocks away from me. might be the start of a hoboken brew club. who knows.

i did not get to try your beer. you guys were out when i came around.
i thought i went home with one pitcher's worth in my keg but it turned out to only be 2 ounces.

but i yielded 5.5 gals and so i have two litres i bottled with table sugar.
give them a week or two and at least i can get another taste of my batch.

i have not yet read through my tasting notes. they found their way into my gf's purse.

just noticed you are from staten island. did your brewery survive hurricane sandy?

Thanks for the compliment. And yes, our brewery luckily survived. How'd you fair in Hoboken? I know they got hit pretty hard as well.

yes. i too came through relatively unscathed since i live at the other end of town away from the PATH where most of the worst flooding happened.

two days ago i scored a 6 gal and a 5 gal glass carboy out of the trash.
covered in mud and sewage. a cup or two of bleach seems to have done the trick.
feel sorry for whomever abandoned them since their apartments was most likely trashed.

i also saw someone throwing out two 15 gallon demijohns. i already have two and since they were in real bad shape so i didnt go back for them.

Back