What happens if you pitched a starter too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
I made my first starter last night 05/14 at about 6pm with 2 cups dme and 8 cups of water. Today I have a krausen and nice bubbles. I shake it every time I get a chance. I dont think I left enough time for this to ferment out and be ready to use by tomorrow afternoon 05/16 did I? I guess my question is if late tonight I put in fridge and and pulled out to decant liquor to just pitch slurry tomorrow and fermentation was not done, what will happen? I have a pretty good layer of sediment on the bottom already before I shake it all back in.

A yeast starter is ready to pitch anytime after it has attained high krausen (full activity), and for about a day or two after it has settled out, depending on the temperature.

This line came directly from how to brew chapeter 6, I think you'll be ok, I always pitch mine just after high krausen and they take off like a bat out of hell. Don't worry about whether or not the starter is fermented out fully, it will be fine.

http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-6.html

Even an early pitched starter is better than no starter at all. At least they more than likely started waking up out of their dormancy in the presence of fresh starter wort. It is better than just dumping the yeast in.

I've sometimes had to make a starter at the beginning of a brew session, knowing at least 6 hours later when I am pitching it in, that the yeasts are at least waking up, if not already replicating.

You will be fine.

Back